SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   How short is too short (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/88088-how-short-too-short.html)

davidpm 05-31-2012 09:52 PM

How short is too short

32s5 Bene on a mooring the mooring lines (2) could go over the anchor rollers then to the deck cleats about 3' back or in little notches on the side of the stem fitting that has a little mini roller too.

I had the mooring lines through the notches to the cleats with the loop through the center of the cleat then folded over. It looked good to me.
The owner of the boat just put a 1" dock line through the mooring lines so the mooring lines didn't get on the boat.

I don't know if she thought the mooring lines were too short or she was worried about the scum on the lines.

How short is too short for mooring lines?

jsaronson 05-31-2012 10:03 PM

How short is too short

Notches are called chocks. Sounds like lines were long enough. Just grungy.

travlineasy 05-31-2012 10:09 PM

Re: How short is too short

This depends upon the average height of your tidal changes. You need the lines long enough so the boat is not hanging on the mooring lines when the tide goes out, but short enough so when the tide is high the boat is not rubbing the pilings.

Good Luck,

Gary :cool:

jackdale 05-31-2012 11:42 PM

Gary - I think the OP is on a mooring ball.

My preferred method on a ball. Mooring line (nylon) from cleat through the chock to the ring or pennant with a complete round turn (twice through) to the chock on the other side to the other cleat (cleat hitch perhaps with a stopper knot as a safety). I then run other mooring line the same way but this one is a bit longer; doubling up. If you are a permanent ball, use anti-chafing where necessary.

If you have a plumb bow the mooring ball with rub against the hull. If not, the mooring line might be snugged up enough to keep the ball just below the bow without touching.

marcusc130 06-01-2012 01:44 PM

How short is too short

The rule of thumb is 1.5 times the freeboard of your boat. So for a boat with 4' of freeboard, a 6' pennant.

bljones 06-01-2012 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackdale (Post 878573)
Gary - I thik Dabid...

Got a cold, or is it allergy season?

jackdale 06-01-2012 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bljones (Post 878893)
Got a cold, or is it allergy season?

Duh. Thanks, I fixed it - I think.

I have noticed some weird things with text entry lately. Some sort of auto-correct, but it is not correct. I do use a web-based spell checker.

JimsCAL 06-01-2012 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marcusc130 (Post 878887)
The rule of thumb is 1.5 times the freeboard of your boat. So for a boat with 4' of freeboard, a 6' pennant.

Too short! Most are 15 or 20 feet!

travlineasy 06-01-2012 07:54 PM

Sorry guys - I need a break.

Gary :cool:

davidpm 06-01-2012 10:22 PM

Thanks, if the weather holds tomorrow I'll get some pictures so it will be more clear.