How on earth do I clean black streaks and old name from AWLGRIP? - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-01-2012

pfile is on a distinguished road
How on earth do I clean black streaks and old name from AWLGRIP?

Guys,

I have several areas with visible black water streaks on my newly acquired boats dark green AWLGRIPPED hull (it's 10 year old AWLGRIP job)

I've tried washing with AWLWASH several times and then applying AWLCARE but it does not touch the black stains.

I bought some Star Brite black streak remover but it does seem to dull the finish so I'm scared to use it. Also tried Simple green.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-01-2012
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough
Re: How on earth do I clean black streaks and old name from AWLGRIP?

I had some nasty stains emitted from my 35-year-old rub rail that is slowly, but surely deteriorating. I tried every soap in the book and nothing touched it. The boat was painted with Enron about 10 years ago, the finish still looks great, but the only way I was able to remove the stains was with a Scotch Pad, which dulled the finish. Then I used a buffer and rubbing compound to refurbish the finish and covered the entire boat with a couple coats of marine wax. I'm not about to replace that rub-rail, but I think I'll find some way to coat the rubber with silicone or something similar to reduce the chance of staining.

Good Luck,

Gary
Old 06-01-2012

The AWLGRIP job looked awesome until I started washing the decks and the stains came from under the old rub rail - there is old butyl under there (86 Sabre 30)

I almost wish that it had the original old gel coat job as at least I could compound and wax it.
Old 06-01-2012

SchockT is on a distinguished road

I had success getting exhaust stains off my awlgrip paint using a Mr Clean Magic Eraser. It is non abrasive so it won't dull the paint. Do NOT use anything abrasive as it will damage the paint, particularly on dark colours.

It is possible that the paint is already damaged where the streaks are, but if they do come off, continue using Awlwash and Awlcare. The toerail streaks wash off my boat with a soft brush and mild soapy water.
Old 06-02-2012

Hi SchockT, thanks for the tip, I will try a magic eraser today and see how it works out.
Old 06-02-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

SchockT, my understanding is that the Magic Erasers (there are several grades now) are all slightly abrasive. With a ten year old "paint" coating, I'd try it on a very inconspicuous corner first.

The Awl folks might know a better 9totally nonabrasive) way to get out the stains. If they are carbon from exhaust or unburned jet fuel (common under airport flight patterns) the black soot may have worked into pores in an older finish. I'm wondering if rubbing in baking soda, followed by a vinegar rinse, might not "foam" them out?
Old 06-02-2012

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchockT View Post
I had success getting exhaust stains off my awlgrip paint using a Mr Clean Magic Eraser. It is non abrasive so it won't dull the paint. Do NOT use anything abrasive as it will damage the paint, particularly on dark colours.

It is possible that the paint is already damaged where the streaks are, but if they do come off, continue using Awlwash and Awlcare. The toerail streaks wash off my boat with a soft brush and mild soapy water.
Magic Erasers can certainly dull an Awlgrip finish and they are mildly abrasive. I walked down the dock last summer just after a woman at the dock completely ruined the Makrolon (polycarbonate) windows on a brand new $3000.00 dodger with a Magic Erasser.. When her husband popped his head up from below the $hit hit the fan, dodger was about four weeks old......Doh'..

A trick I learned from my Awlgrip rep is to use Naptha on a microfiber rag, this is if Awlcare & Awlwash don't do it.. Be careful with Black Streak Removers as some contain mild acids. Wash & rinse quick and you'll be fine but certainly try and avoid letting it dry on there...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 06-02-2012 at 11:00 AM.
Old 06-02-2012

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchockT View Post
I had success getting exhaust stains off my awlgrip paint using a Mr Clean Magic Eraser. It is non abrasive so it won't dull the paint.
I can tell you, from personal experience, that nothing could be further from the truth. Oh, sure, it'll clean. It'll clean well. But it most definitely is abrasive.

To the OP: If the black stain/streak remover doesn't do it, you may have to make a decision: Live with the black streaks or live with the finish dulled from more aggressive efforts to remove them.

Abracadabra's hull is Awlgripped. We had the same problem and the same decision. It finally got bad enough, by this spring, where we said "Screw it. The dull spots certainly will look better than all these black spots/streaks." So we used that black streak remover, first; then spot-treated with cleaner wax (a BIG no-no for Awlgrip), then did the entire hull with cleaner wax, followed by regular wax. She looked a lot better by the time we were done than she had when we'd started.

Someday we hope to get Abracadabra repainted - top-sides and hull. The decks will be re-gelcoated and the hull re-painted with either Imron or Awlcraft.

I'd never in a million years use Awlgrip on anything other than a show boat--that I never actually intended to, you know, use?

Jim
Old 06-02-2012

SchockT is on a distinguished road

Interesting that others had different experience with the magic eraser. I used it around the exhaust port on my hull, and the paint looks just as shiny as the rest of the hull. Maybe there are different types?

Anyway, the advise to try everything in an inconspicuous spot is always a good idea!
Old 06-02-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Mr. Clean makes two different types, one more abrasive than the other. Then there are other brands as well. And of course, different "paints" in different ages and conditions will have different hardnesses.

Softscrub might work. BonAmi, which was the old nearly-non-abrasive feldspar based cleaner on the market for decades, is another good choice. (Comet, Ajax, etc. were reformulated around 1990 to be less abrasive because of the damage they were doing to porcelain, corningware, and acrylic shower surrounds.)

Something like 3M "Finesse-It" or "Perfect-It", their 3000-grit fine polishing liquids, might also be a good choice. Those will even restore the mirror finish on CD discs but you do need a lot of elbow grease, or a buffing wheel, to get them to work at all.