Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2012

davidpm is on a distinguished road
How to calibrate a voltage meter

Some regulars have mentioned calibrating a voltage meter. This sounds like a good idea.
Are there any easily accessible calibrated voltage sources?
I could just stop some random pole worker and ask him it check a battery I carry with me with his fluke then check the same battery with my meter.
In fact I did this with the local auto-parts store. They had a several hundred dollar tester but still how do I know their equipment is in spec.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-01-2012

SchockT is on a distinguished road
Re: How to calibrate a voltage meter

The only way to really test it would be to have a known voltage source, or to check it with a quality voltmeter. (Most power supplies for electronic devices have accurately regulated output.) I have several Fluke meters, and I have them checked for calibration once in a while, but every time they are bang on.

One of my multimeters lives on my boat: it is a standard part of my onboard tool kit. I have found it very useful over the years, for my own problems as well as helping fellow boaters troubleshoot faults.

Do you have reason to believe your volt meter is reading incorrectly?

Last edited by SchockT; 06-01-2012 at 10:54 PM.
Old 06-01-2012

bgeddes is on a distinguished road

A real calibration will require a comparison to a standard traceable to N.I.S.T., the National Institute of Standards and Testing, Typically done by a lab specializing in this service. Probably overkill for on board testing.

It's been my experience that better meters are more accurate. One example of this is that higher quality meters measure RMS AC voltage instead of average. Most of the time it makes little difference, as you are looking for the presence of absence of power.

I have not compared my $4 Harbor Freight meters to the $500 Flukes but it would make for an interesting comparison.
Old 06-01-2012

btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough

One simple workaround for meter calibration when you don't have a better alternative is to use fresh alkaline batteries. Here are some voltages as measured with my Fluke 189:

Battery Type Chemistry Voltage

1 D Alkaline 1.5966
2 D Alkaline 1.5979

3 C Alkaline 1.5591
4 C Alkaline 1.6113
5 C Alkaline 1.6104
6 C Alkaline 1.6112
7 C Alkaline 1.6100

8 AA Alkaline 1.5852

9 AAA Alkaline 1.5946

10 9V Alkaline 9.5090
11 9V Alkaline 9.5010

Bill
Old 06-02-2012
No more curry buffets

Ritchard is on a distinguished road

I would go Bill's test above one further. Gather up an good sampling of multitesters from the boats around you, and test them all. You should then get a good set of averages from which to spot variance. This will give you some sense of whether your meter is close enough. And for pretty well everything on the boat, close enough is close enough.
Old 06-02-2012

tommays will become famous soon enough

I have a high end Fluke that gets yearly certs used in pharmaceutic for IO ,OQ , PQ validations and the FREE harbor freight meter gives the SAME results on 12 volt DC
davidpm likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-03-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Fresh batteries, ah, such mythological creatures.

In theory coin cells holde ven tighter tolerances but those can vary as well.

I cheated. I bought some precision voltage reference chips, which are designed to take roughly 8-20V input and put out 10.00v. They may float by a couple of digits in the THIRD decimal place, but with a 4-digit meter that means 10.00 is damn well 10.00, exact to the last digit.

Then I opted for "small" and wired them up to small 12V batteries, in holders, with a power switch and a couple of alligator leads instead of terminal posts. The hardest part of the assembly was obtaining the Altoids mini-tin, because yes, it lives in a small Altoids box. About three bucks cheaper than the smallest "professional" case I could find.

Of course that's just me, I decided to build a proper tool so I can calibrate anything I want for years to come. No, it isn't NTST calibration, but from what I've read when these chips say "10.00" that's a Real Damn Sure 10.00 and I can't ask more than that, especially for maybe $20 worth of parts. I'm sure if there was a market I could job 'em out to China for under $10 each, landed.

Once you have a calibration source of whatever kind you are going to use, you take the back off the meter and look around. You may need to check the manual or ask the maker, but typically there are one or two small screwdriver-adjusted trimpots inside. If there's only one, mark the position it is in, then while the meter is connected to the calibration souce, SLOWLY trim that screw until the voltage matches the source.

If there is more than one trimpot, congratulations, you've got a better meter. Try not to mess with the wrong one. (Which is why you mark it, and check with the maker.)

After calibrating, but the back on the meter again, check calibration again. Sometimes it slips a bit during the final handling and you need to do it again.

Harbor Freight? ROFL, my little HF's were worth what I didn't pay for them, but they are more light test lamps than real meters. Wooboy do they vary.
Old 06-03-2012

jentine is on a distinguished road

What is so critical that you require a calibrated volt meter. Most of the jobs on a boat merely require a test light. Either you have power or you don't.

Jim
dacap06 and travlineasy like this.
Old 06-03-2012
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

Checking voltages, continuity, trouble-shoot electrical problems, etc... on boats isn't rocket science. You REALLY don't need anything better than an El-cheapo from Harbor Freight--it will do much more than most boat owners and mechanics can fathom. And, it will do them very accurately for years and years, and years. Many, many years ago I had some really expensive electronic testing equipment--it's all outdated and pretty much worthless--especially in the world of recreational boating.

Good luck,

Gary

Last edited by travlineasy; 06-03-2012 at 11:51 PM.
Old 06-04-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

I would argue that if you want to know what your electrical system is doing, a calibrated meter is necessary. Is your alternator putting out 14.2 when it should be putting out 14.4 (in a modern well regulated design) ? Or is it putting out 14.6 with regulator failure to come?

Is your battery charged to 12.4, and down 20% capacity? Or is it 12.6 and really full?

Is it being charged to the proper voltage points at all? Or, again, 20% off?

Are you deep cycling your batteries to the 30% point where they may get 1000 cycles? Or the 50% point where they may get only 300 cycles?

In all cases the difference is only 2/10ths of a volt, and an uncalibrated untested meter cannot be assumed to be any more accurate than that. But a calibrated meter can almost give you as much information as an expensive battery charge monitor. As well as confirming the charge monitor is working correctly.

The el-cheapo from Harbor Freight? I had one that was more than 1/2 volt off when new. I need more than something which tells me the whole electrical system has failed--when it hasn't. The reliability and consistancy of HF products is well known. Doesn't make them a total waste all the time, but they need to be used in context.