Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2012

magpieboy is on a distinguished road
windvanes

I.ve read some of info about windvanes. so many types, seems the servo pendulum is the most favoured. Is an emergency rudder option really a neccesity? It raises the cost considerably. I am considering a new sailomat, or maybe a south atlantic (but can find no good reports about this one) unless I can lay my hands on second hand unit of "good" type. I have a small (but heavy)yacht, a swanson 28, about 5 tonne. I want to fit a windvane but unsure as to type; any wise and worldly suggestions out there? My boat is a canoe stern, tiller steer, keel hung rudder. Wish someone made one here in oz!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-02-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: windvanes

We've never had one, so I can't give you a first had recommendation. Most that get one, do so for longer passages. In those circumstances, an emergency rudder sure makes good sense.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 06-03-2012
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road

We have a Monitor vane ('Morley' if there are any Vinyl Cafe fans out there) that is truly wonderful. You can get an emergency rudder kit for it but we don't have one and would have to use the boat's emergency tiller setup in a pinch. We came down to a choice between Monitor and Hydrovane and the mounting for the Monitor was much easier to do. The Hydrovane likely would require beefing up the transom to take the loads which are much greater than with a servo-pendulum system that is not steering the boat - just turning the wheel.
Old 06-03-2012

Stumble is on a distinguished road

The few people I know with them kinda regret the instal. With modern auto pilots and solar panels, you can have a much more efficient self stearing system by using the auto pilot, and for the cost of the wind stearing install a pretty nice size solar array to power it. But this way you also have a power source while on the hook.
Old 06-03-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

Look at the Cape Horn. They have one especially for outboard rudders. The designer sailed all they way around with his in the lower 40's, and down wind a lot which is the hardest point for those things. I can't wait for mine. I have a heavy 28 footer as well.

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 06-03-2012 at 07:51 PM.
Old 06-03-2012

magpieboy is on a distinguished road

thanks for the replies, yes, its good to consider the extra load of something like the hydrovane on the transom; so i am tending much more towards the servo pendulum. most brands seem to promote their product well so i guess i am just trying to get first hand experiences. monitor is one certainly considered and i have read about the cape horn too. i assume the auxillary rudder type would bear similar loads to as hydrovane on the transom. as for auto's, i suppose i'm de teching the boat somewhat, there is an auto on board but i loathe to use it much, trying to stay power minimum use. does anyone out there use a sailomat?
Capt.aaron likes this.
Old 06-10-2012

Freedom007 is on a distinguished road

I have and had both monitor and Aries, I used the heck out of both and won't go off shore without one. Electrical systems can and dodge at sea and nothing is worse than having to steer by hand 24/7. I still tear up when I think about it !!!!
Old 06-10-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

I installed a Norvane and am happy with the way it works. It does not act as an emergency rudder. Auto helm motors use WAY more amperage than practical for offshore use. The nice thing about windvanes is the uncomplicated nature of what they accomplish and the fact that there are no electrical parts to burn out. Once balanced, you can travel many miles without having to touch the wheel. They are dependent upon stable wind and sea conditions which are more common farther offshore. In gusty or changeable inshore winds they are less effective. As Aaron said, downwind is the most difficult point of sail for my unit.

Last edited by smurphny; 06-10-2012 at 07:18 PM.
Old 06-10-2012

Mirari is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
The few people I know with them kinda regret the instal. With modern auto pilots and solar panels, you can have a much more efficient self stearing system by using the auto pilot, and for the cost of the wind stearing install a pretty nice size solar array to power it. But this way you also have a power source while on the hook.
I consider my windvane one, if not the best purchase I every made. Having had several electric autopilot failures I'm not totally trusting of an electric autopilot, however my trusty windvane delivers every time. I use the electric pilot a lot but when it gets real nasty out there the wind vane works best. Mine has steered in some really nasty conditions when blowing in excess of 50 knots. Try that with an electric autopilot and watch it beat itself to death. If your going offshore shorthanded a windvane is a must have.
Old 06-11-2012

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough

I am considering a Norvane. Looks well made and is lighter than the Monitor for example - my boat is 27' and the less weight hanging off the stern the better.
The Norvane has a tiller arm as an option for emergency steering at a good price.
NORVANE Self-Steering Wind Vane. Stainless steel, servo-pendulum. Powerful, sturdy and reliable for sailboats 20’ to 60’

Smurphny

Have you had any issues with your Norvane?