SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   using 3M marine premium filler (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/88189-using-3m-marine-premium-filler.html)

muskoka.sailor 06-03-2012 02:52 PM

using 3M marine premium filler

anybody used 3M marine filler from Canadian tire? I need to fill some rivet and old hardware holes on the deck of my DS20 and wondered if that would be approriate. Maybe I should use a better quality filler/resin?

jppp 06-03-2012 03:42 PM

Re: using 3M marine premium filler

Darn fine stuff. I used it below waterline. Its under 5 coats barrier and 4 coats bottom though.
On deck I defer to the experts

Stumble 06-03-2012 07:20 PM

My go to for this type of stuff is West Systems resin, and silica balloons as a thickner. I don't know anything about the 3M stuff, but I know the west systems will work.

fiberglass1 06-03-2012 07:51 PM

3M Premium is a vinylester based product and needs to be catalyzed accurately to get optimal results. In small quantities this is next to impossible. When the mix is wrong you can get incomplete cures and/or excessive shrinking over time. Why not go with an epoxy mix, like Stumble mentions? Cheaper, better bond, more accurate mix (with pumps) and very little shrinkage.

Stumble 06-04-2012 01:30 AM

If the 3M is vinelester I really wouldn't recommend it. Vinelester has a bad habit of refusing to bond to things unless the prep work is done perfectly. This is difficult enough for new parts, but is next to impossible for things that have already been cured.

Get a small package of epoxy. It lasts forever and is just too useful around boats not to have.

MarkSF 06-04-2012 02:45 AM

MarineTex for me. It comes in a white version which is great for filling holes on deck.

Stumble 06-04-2012 03:09 PM

Mark,

MarineTex is a very low quality, very high priced two part epoxy. West systems plus filler plus dye will do the same job at a fraction of the price, and a whole lot more as well.

MarkSF 06-04-2012 04:01 PM

You're the first person I've heard say it's low quality. Which of it's properties is below par then?

If I want to repair a couple of screw holes, it is much cheaper and more convenient than mixing West Systems epoxy, hardener, filler, and dye.

On the other hand if I was doing a more major repair involving fibreglass I'd mix up some of my West Systems.

Horses for courses.

Stumble 06-05-2012 11:14 PM

...........................West systems 205 vs Marine Tex

Compression yield. 11,400psi...........8,700psi
Tensile strength.......7,900psi.......... 4,000psi
Cost.......................$40/qt.............$120/qt. (the difference gets worse as the quantities get smaller)

Plus you can control the thickness of West, it can be put into syringes to inject in small holes, change the fillers to make everything from faring compound to structual glue.

Sorry for all the periods, I needed them to get things to line up right.

muskoka.sailor 06-06-2012 05:30 PM

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the comments. I've done a little research and you guys are absolutely right, West Sytems is by far one of the best, and a little cheaper than that 3M stuff I was considering. I'll be picking some West System products up for sure....