Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-08-2012

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Re: Cunningham Design Suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthemj24 View Post
I understand the motivation to save your good sails, however sailing with 30 year old sails is going to undermine your learning.
You make a good point. A very good point. The Admiral has said before "I like the old sails better. I think the boat does better with the old sails." When I told her, yesterday, that I wanted to put the racing sails on for Sunday's race, she said it again. "I think that's because we've sailed a lot more with the older sails, so we know how to tune things much better with them than we do the new sails," I replied.

Besides: If the forecast holds, it'll be perfect air for that Mylar light air 155 (Tho, hopefully, not too perfect.)

Jim
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-08-2012

puddinlegs is on a distinguished road

I understand old sails if budget is an issue. It is for the vast majority of us. Honestly though, if I were trying to put together any sort or program at all, there's no better way to discourage a crew than being condemned to less than middling mediocrity than by racing with very old, blown out sails. Might as well never clean the bottom either.

Cunningham... Jeff has an opinion as we all know. This one is best ignored with one exception. Drives me nuts not to have the Cunningham lead back the cockpit. Asking someone at the mast to tweak sail shape just takes too long.
Old 06-09-2012

anthemj24 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEMIJim View Post
You make a good point. A very good point. The Admiral has said before "I like the old sails better. I think the boat does better with the old sails." When I told her, yesterday, that I wanted to put the racing sails on for Sunday's race, she said it again. "I think that's because we've sailed a lot more with the older sails, so we know how to tune things much better with them than we do the new sails," I replied.

Besides: If the forecast holds, it'll be perfect air for that Mylar light air 155 (Tho, hopefully, not too perfect.)

Jim
Very cool. Let us know how it turns out. If you can take some photos of the sails before or after the race and post them here, we might be able to offer some more ideas. Photos from the center and bottom of the sail looking straight up are very useful.