SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Used motors (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/88241-used-motors.html)

santana30RI 06-04-2012 09:03 PM

Used motors

Is there a good place to buy used motor in the ri mass ct area?

I am looking to replace a volvo MD6A. The cost of a brand new motor for a 1975 santana 30 does not seem a good choice

Capt Len 06-04-2012 11:05 PM

Re: Used motors

Decide on a make and gear. I chose an Isuzu DB4 and a Hurth 2:1 gear No regrets Bang for the buck.Smaller engine? look at Kybota.If price is first, know what your'e looking at .There's a reason it's on the shop floor.

hriehl1 06-06-2012 12:50 PM

massmarineparts.com in Quincy MASS strips lots of boats and sells parts, but I'm not sure they would have a good idea of an engine's condition. But they may be worth contacting.

There are many consignment shops listed here: Good Old Boat - Consignment Stores
that may have used engines, or be able to refer you to mechanics who may have something viable.

Good Luck

SailingforJoy 06-20-2012 05:03 PM

Hello Santana30RI
Same boat here, well not the same boat I have a Morgan 28 OI in FL, but with the same need wanting to replace my Volvo Penta MD6A, and I am not sure the way to go. I have been burning up the internet looking, finding no info.
I can't find parts for the MD6A such as exhaust manifold.
I am like most sailors I know and sailing on a shoestring in a teaspoon of water.
I am retired and live on my boat, so $$$$ are very important.
Happy Sailing!
David - sailingforjoy

SchockT 06-21-2012 12:10 AM

The problem with buying a used engine is that you are buying someone elses cast-off! Why did they pull it out of their boat in the first place? If you are lucky you might find a newer engine in good shape, but then you have to adapt it to fit your boat. Not that it can't be done, it just needs to be considered.

I had my MD7A rebuilt a few years ago, and it runs beautifully. I have the piece of mind of knowing that it has been torn down, inspected, cleaned and re assembled with all new bearings, rings and gaskets. I had no problem getting all the required parts. It cost a couple of grand, but it that is far cheaper than a re-power.

misfits 06-21-2012 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hriehl1 (Post 881357)
massmarineparts.com

Another good site to add to the favorites.

Thanks!

SailingforJoy 06-21-2012 08:33 AM

Thanks;
I hear you. The engine was rebuilt in 97 from what the past survey says.
sailingforjoy

CalebD 06-21-2012 01:42 PM

Not sure I'd replace an MD7A with another one but here is a Utube video of one for sale: Asking $2500.
Since finding parts for this Volvo engine is difficult I'd consider biting the bullet and getting a brand (Kubota) where parts are available and cheaper. Several brands of diesel engines were built around Kubota blocks and Kubota still makes tractors, hence engines.

misfits 06-21-2012 02:33 PM

Not sure I'd replace an MD7A with another one but here is a Utube video of one for sale:
volvo md7a diesel.wmv - YouTube

This motor is in a Sabre so it will be a LH Rotation. I'm not sure what the rotation is for the MD6A but that will be an important part of the decsion making process.

SailingforJoy 06-21-2012 02:36 PM

Thanks for the reply CalebD
If I can find or repair the exhaust manifold - I will keep it.
Happy Sailing
dr - sailingforjoy