Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-05-2012

xymotic is on a distinguished road
Refit: salt water wash

If you were going to refit your boat and start from scratch how would you do the saltwater washdown?

I am thinking I am going to convert my forward head to fresh water, so take that intake and run a hose up to the bow.

I have a steel boat, and I think I'd like to weld a loop of pipe over the anchors that will blast it without having to stand there with a hose.

(my ultimate goal is to be able to anchor from the helm.)

I'd also like to Tee off to a decent fitting such as JABSCO Stainless-Steel Washdown Quick Connects at West Marine In case I do need a hose on deck.

What I can't quite figure out is how/where to get the nozzles for the pipe(s) over the anchor.

And would I get better performance if I mount the pump low and close to intake and then push the water or pull it up and then expel it closer to the nozzle?

Lastly, and this is like fantasy land... if I built a small diesel generator/watermaker, how hard would it be to bypass the high-pressure and use it to actually power-wash the chain? (and where would I get nozzles to do that!?)

edit: I just found these: http://www.mcmaster.com/#high-pressu...ozzles/=huq3eo
I'm thinking the first ones, stainless steel simply threaded into a stainless pipe. Maybe angled a few degress forward to blast stuff back to the sea. Would this be more trouble than it's worth with clogging or any other reason I shouldn't do this?

Last edited by xymotic; 06-05-2012 at 11:29 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-05-2012
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
Re: Refit: salt water wash

Here's a link to a place I used to buy all of our spray nozzles from for our street sweepers. They'll have what you need and you will only need to weld on the 1/4" pipe nipples, they're very helpful too. The tricky part will be getting the aim just right and enough flow. Cool idea.
Spray nozzles, spray control, spray analysis and spray fabrication from the experts in spray technology, Spraying Systems Co.

If you are going to use something like a Shurflo pump it won't make any difference where you mount it, they are self priming and will lift to, I think, 10'.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 06-05-2012

xymotic is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd22 View Post
Here's a link to a place I used to buy all of our spray nozzles from for our street sweepers. They'll have what you need and you will only need to weld on the 1/4" pipe nipples, they're very helpful too. The tricky part will be getting the aim just right and enough flow. Cool idea.
Spray nozzles, spray control, spray analysis and spray fabrication from the experts in spray technology, Spraying Systems Co.

If you are going to use something like a Shurflo pump it won't make any difference where you mount it, they are self priming and will lift to, I think, 10'.
Awesome, thanks! they have all kinds of neat stuff
Old 06-06-2012
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough

Your very welcome. You will probably want to get the SS nozzles once you figure out how many and what orifice size.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse