Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2012

Location: S/V Waltzing Matilda, Port Ludlow, WA (NW Puget Sound)
wolfenzee is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee
Re: Fishfinder vs depth sensor

I would rather have a depth gauge with a relatively small display and great big numbers...instead I have a fish finder that is so big it has to be mounted just inside the companionway hatch, the actual depth numbers are really small and I hit my head on it while cooking have moved it twice and is in he least bad place.
For those who might want to suggest I just buy a depth gauge...the whole set up isn't cheap, then add hauling the boat and time on the hard....I would end up spending $500+ to buy and install a "cheap" $100 depth sounder. I can't find just a depth sounder the uses my old Si Tex transducer

Last edited by wolfenzee; 07-24-2012 at 12:35 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-24-2012

INMA is on a distinguished road

I have used a Navman 4150 fishfinder log for about 10 years and have found it great for a small yacht.

Navman do not do marine stuff anymore but other brands are out there.

Mine was the through hull model, I have the depth in the forward area in front of the keel in silicone and the paddle wheel in the engine well.

My unit also has connections for engine hours and provides a voltage readout.

If it died tomorrow, I would try and get the same in whatever brand was similar.
Old 07-24-2012
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfenzee View Post
I would rather have a depth gauge with a relatively small display and great big numbers...instead I have a fish finder that is so big it has to be mounted just inside the companionway hatch, the actual depth numbers are really small and I hit my head on it while cooking have moved it twice and is in he least bad place.
For those who might want to suggest I just buy a depth gauge...the whole set up isn't cheap, then add hauling the boat and time on the hard....I would end up spending $500+ to buy and install a "cheap" $100 depth sounder. I can't find just a depth sounder the uses my old Si Tex transducer
My current through-hull transducer will remain in place - at least until this fall.

I bought the Garmin echo because I can mount it at the binnacle, where the Signet Marine depth sounder is currently mounted, and because I believe it is powerful enough to allow me to convert the tranducer to shoot through the hull (I will soon see).

Per Garmin, here is how;
Quote:
Can a transom mount transducer be mounted like an in-hull transducer?

Due to having a boat that is incompatible with a transom mount transducer, it may be desirable to install a transom mount transducer inside of the hull, sometimes called a shoot-thru-the-hull installation. If the boat is made of solid fiberglass, it is possible to install a transom mount transducer inside of the hull. When using a 500W transducer, the fiberglass hull can be no thicker than 5/8 inch. When using a 1kW (1000W) transducer, the fiberglass hull can be no thicker than 1 inch.

The following factors should be considered when installing the transducer in the hull:

The hull must be composed of solid fiberglass without air bubbles, laminates, fillers, or dead air space
The location must be in an area of clean (non-turbulent) water at all speeds
The location must not be over any strakes or behind any obstruction on the hull that would create turbulence

Many modern hulls have a dedicated pocket for an in-hull transducer installation. Please check with the hull manufacturer to see if your boat includes this pocket.

To test a location for in-hull installation:

Fabricate a test cylinder from a section of PVC pipe or can large enough to contain the transducer
If no PVC pipe or can is available, a plastic bag filled with water can also be used
Temporarily seal the test cylinder to the hull with caulking or RTV sealer, and fill the test device with water or light mineral oil
Place the transducer in the liquid, pointed directly toward the bottom, and weighted down to ensure the most accurate test results
Using the attached Garmin fish finder/sounder, verify that the transducer is reading depths. Be sure to test at different depths and speeds, to ensure that the transducer is working properly
If the sonar performance is significantly degraded, select and test another location

To permanently install the transducer:

Lightly sand the surface of the hull and the face of the transducer with 400-grit wet or dry sandpaper
Build a dam using strip caulk about 1/4 inch tall
Pour about 1/8 inch of two-part, slow-cure epoxy into the dam
Place the transducer into the epoxy, turning the transducer to work out any air bubbles
Weight the transducer in place, and allow it to cure for 24 hours

Last edited by eherlihy; 07-24-2012 at 07:11 AM.
Old 07-24-2012

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatapaul View Post
Till the fuse blows and you have to get out the solder gun.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2
Haven't blow one yet, in decades of use. You can keep one handy, with wires already soldered on.
Old 07-24-2012

Location: S/V Waltzing Matilda, Port Ludlow, WA (NW Puget Sound)
wolfenzee is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee

Some transducers will shoot through a glass hull...my hull is 1" top nailed mahogany. I have tiller steering and a bronze compass binnacle, not something you want to attach displays to.
Old 07-29-2012
Learning the HARD way...

I spent most of the day chasing the transducer wire from the pedestal to near where the old transducer is. While at it, I found a cracked PEX connector for my freshwater system. I no longer wonder why the water pump comes on at night... (now fixed)

Anyway, I tried the Garmin transducer through a bag of water and the hull, and it worked fine. I first tested the unit in my slip, and placed the transducer directly in the water, and it read 7' at low tide. I tested again with the waterbag, and it read 6' 3" (I figure that this spot is about 9" below the water line) I then connected everything up, in preparation to set the transducer in epoxy (I forgot my sandpaper and the attachment for my drill anyway) and lo & behold, the transducer worked without being set in epoxy!

I still plan on setting it in epoxy, but wanted to share for anyone interested that the Garmin echo 200 unit works fine shooting through the hull of my O'day 35.
Old 07-30-2012

copacabana is on a distinguished road

You can use silicone instead of epoxy, which makes it easier to remove at a future date. The secret for either epoxy or silicone is making sure there are no air bubbles when you glue the transducer to the hull.
eherlihy likes this.
Old 07-30-2012

tspooner is on a distinguished road

I just finished installing a Lowrance plotter/fishfinder/depth combo unit on my boat using the provided transducer as a shoot thru hull. Not having a pedestal rail I had to mount the unit by the companionway where it was still visible enough for my deteriorating vision. There were two gaping holes there anyway where the useless old spinning depth finder and non functioning knot meter used to be. I bolted on a stained cedar board to cover the holes and after caulking the perimeter simply screwed on the units mounting base to it. The only real drawback with this location is that the halyard and mainsheets could get entangled around the unit if you're not careful plus my vertically challenged first mate often changes the adjustable screen angle when she's leaning over it to make adjustments to the mainsheet or cabin top located traveller. I like the fishfinder function as it does show the upcoming bottom relief and type together with the depth up to 1000 ft. Our prawns here like to hide deep so we needed a unit that would accurately show depths of 300 feet plus.
Old 07-30-2012
Learning the HARD way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by copacabana View Post
You can use silicone instead of epoxy, which makes it easier to remove at a future date. The secret for either epoxy or silicone is making sure there are no air bubbles when you glue the transducer to the hull.
I like the Silicone idea - especially since the transducer is working through the hull with right now, and I prefer not to have to take it out with a hammer and saw if I ever upgrade.
copacabana likes this.
Old 07-30-2012

copacabana is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
I prefer not to have to take it out with a hammer and saw if I ever upgrade.
Exactly my thoughts as well!