Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-08-2012
Carlos

Suave is on a distinguished road
Maxwell 17 one-speed winch

We have a 1986 31' Hunter. We serviced the winches 10 years ago (cleaned and oiled). We need to service again (good reason not to put this thing off year to year...)My boat partner has contacted the Australian company that supposedly sell replacement parts but have not heard from them. Any suggestions on where we can get replacement service kits? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-09-2012

Stumble is on a distinguished road
Re: Maxwell 17 one-speed winch

All of Maxwell tooling was sold to ARCO. you can check with them at HUTTON-ARCO Yacht Winches . But unless the parts are pretty cheap you might want to look at replacing it if you have broken or damaged paws or springs.

I have heard more and more issues with people not being able to get parts, and while I have had good luck with ARCO on other parts, for these winches they just don't seem very interested in supporting a legacy product they bough years ago.

A modern Harken, or Lewmar single speed in this size range should only run around $200, and their parts are everywhere.
Old 06-09-2012
Carlos

Suave is on a distinguished road

I've been looking at Lewmar's and I've come to the same conclusion: that 2 new easily serviceable (and not too expensive) winches is the way to go. Lot less hassle all the way around. thanks a lot. Your comments helped confirm my decision. Carlos
Old 06-09-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

If springs and/or pawls are all you need, which is usually the case, you may be able to use current Lewmar or Harken bits. Before you buy new winches, take one of your pawls & springs to a chandlery and check them against the current stuff to see if they match up.

I needed a pawl & spring for my old Barients and I found that Lewmar parts fit. The only caveat is that with the pawls there is a very slight difference in length so you must change them in pairs. If you don't, all the load will be carried by the longer pawl. I suppose, in a pinch, you could file down the longer one but they are so cheap that changing pairs makes more sense.

The springs can be changed individually.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 03-26-2014

InTooDeep is on a distinguished road

I've recently purchased an 84 25.5 Hunter. All is well except for one winch. Its also a Maxwell 17 and is in great working condition, but with one of the self-tailing winches the top piece that screws down on top to secure the winch parts in place is missing. Alas, it was never recovered in the boat or in the supplies that came with it. I've contacted Argo but gotten no response. Did you hear from them? My budget is pretty limited currently and I'd like to replace the part vs buying a new winch, but the part seems oddly specific to the winch. Any advice or tips? Thanks
Old 03-27-2014
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

I'd check with a machine shop about having a piece made - they can be surprisingly cheap sometimes.

Worth asking before spending $hundreds on a new winch.

If that fails, consignment shops are your friend.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 04-06-2014

InTooDeep is on a distinguished road

I'll give it a shot. Thanks!!