Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-09-2012

jppp is on a distinguished road
Furler Frustration

I have a Furlex Furler with 2 situations.

1) Up goes the sail, secure the halyard, out comes the sail, go to furl up at end of sail and she only furls part way and jams. Jams hard. Feels mechanical . Jams in both direction. No, the halyard is not wrapping at the top. and when the sail is off everything spins and spins with ease. I did notice the furling line was wrapped what appeared to be the wrong direction. I corrected that but ran out of time to test. Could halyard tension affect this?

2) The furler sits too high. There is a 10" or so turnbuckle between the bottom of the furler and the attachment point. The furler sits about 16" off the boat. I'd like it to be much lower. The boat has a baby stay and if I ease the back stay and haul down on the spinnaker halyard will I be safe to detach the head stay to reconfigure the furler?
jp
Angler 204 Cuddy-, Crushed in Hurricane Sandy
Yes all true, No wonder no one will go on the water with me.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-09-2012

rugosa is on a distinguished road
Re: Furler Frustration

Quote:
Originally Posted by jppp View Post

1) . . .and she only furls part way and jams. Jams hard. Feels mechanical . Jams in both direction. jp
We had a similar problem with Harken furling. Determined we were getting furler line over rides on drum problem was worse when furling line freewheeled when letting genoa out. By controling both problem went away. Also found we had too much line on the drum

Quote:
2) . . . will I be safe to detach the head stay to reconfigure the furler?
jp
In light air with spinnaker or another genoa halyard you should be ok. If you are concerned use 2 halyards. You should also check Furlex manual for furling line angle from drum, it has to be a fair lead.

Last edited by rugosa; 06-09-2012 at 06:38 PM.
Old 06-09-2012

knuterikt is on a distinguished road

Quote:

1) Up goes the sail, secure the halyard, out comes the sail, go to furl up at end of sail and she only furls part way and jams. Jams hard. Feels mechanical . Jams in both direction. No, the halyard is not wrapping at the top. and when the sail is off everything spins and spins with ease. I did notice the furling line was wrapped what appeared to be the wrong direction. I corrected that but ran out of time to test. Could halyard tension affect this?

2) The furler sits too high. There is a 10" or so turnbuckle between the bottom of the furler and the attachment point. The furler sits about 16" off the boat. I'd like it to be much lower. The boat has a baby stay and if I ease the back stay and haul down on the spinnaker halyard will I be safe to detach the head stay to reconfigure the furler?
jp
1) It's important to keep the furling line sits tight without wraps on the drum (any override will foul up).
Don't keep to much line on the drum.
Secure the furling line after unfurling so you don't get slack on the remaining turns on the drum.
You should have tension on the halyard when you furl/unfurl.

2) If you use a hallyard as temporary support you should be safe.
You will probably have to replace the head stay.
Old 06-09-2012

Great help. There is too much line on the drum and it's not correct line. Noticed it was bunching up. Problem started when we changed the line. Used some Home depot crap. Uhhh... temporarily? I have proper line and will change it.

Was thinking I could move the turnbuckle to the top to bring the drum down, no?
Old 06-09-2012

knuterikt is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Great help. There is too much line on the drum and it's not correct line. Noticed it was bunching up. Problem started when we changed the line. Used some Home depot crap. Uhhh... temporarily? I have proper line and will change it.

Was thinking I could move the turnbuckle to the top to bring the drum down, no?
To the top of the head stay?
Don't know if that is a good solution, added weight in the mast akward adjustment..
You will most likely change the fore stay attachment at the mast to do this, is it worth the extra cost?

Lots of boats have the Furlex system without any turnbuckle on the head stay.
Old 06-10-2012

MarkSF is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugosa View Post
We had a similar problem with Harken furling. Determined we were getting furler line over rides on drum problem was worse when furling line freewheeled when letting genoa out. By controling both problem went away. Also found we had too much line on the drum

In light air with spinnaker or another genoa halyard you should be ok. If you are concerned use 2 halyards. You should also check Furlex manual for furling line angle from drum, it has to be a fair lead.
Harken sell a ratchet friction block, specifically to prevent this problem. It maintains some tension on the furling line as its eased. As a useful side effect, it makes it much easier to furl the job controllably.
Old 06-10-2012

I'm going to change the furler line.
It makes sense that a turnbuckle at the top of the mast is a bad Idea. Maybe just an extension of the head stay at the top.
Old 06-10-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Why do you need to drop the furler on the stay? You won't gain any luff length, obviously, and the 'visibility window' of being able to look under the headsail is an advantage. I recognize it may look odd on a 'racy looking boat'.. and perhaps you can't set the genoa car on the right position for trim..?

If you're going to go to all that effort then you might consider getting an extra foot or so of foil extrusion and end up with a bit more sail eventually.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 06-10-2012

Stumble is on a distinguished road

My recomendation has always been to use a ratchet block on the last fair lead of the furling line. These blocks only turn one way, so when unfurling there is a decent amount of tension on the line. Don't put it in one of the intermediate stantions though, they require the line to bend around the block to bite, so the greater the angle the line moves over, the more hold they have.

If you are going to change the furling line, my recomendation has been for a while to use a 1/8" dyneema line end for end spliced onto a little large line for the tail. This gives you a very high strength, but very thin line that takes up the majority of the turns on the drum, and a thicker line to hold onto. Generally the dyneema should end a little forward of the last block, when it is fully pulled out of the drum.

The dyneema leader makes it much less likely for the furler to jam due to too much line on the drum (a major cause of furling problems).
Old 06-10-2012

MarkSF is on a distinguished road

I put the ratchet block at the stantion to the aft of the furling line's cleat, so the line does nearly a 180 degree turn around the ratchet. Works really nicely.