Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-07-2004

pilot2sailor is on a distinguished road
Need info on Pearson 30 alcohol stove

Hello all,

I just became part owner of a 1979 Pearson 30 a couple of months ago and I need some information. It looks like the 2-burner alcohol stove hasn''t been lit in a very long time. I don''t know a thing about the stove and I don''t feel like becoming a roman candle by experimenting with it. Is there anyone out there who knows how to operate this stove? Where is the alcohol kept? How do you replenish the alcohol? Is there anywhere on the web that I can find operating instructions or manuals etc.? I don''t know who the manufacturer was but I''m assuming that the stove was installed as original equipment when the boat was built.

I''ve gone to all the Pearson websites that I can think of but to no avail.

Thanks in advance,

Phil
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-07-2004

h37skipper is on a distinguished road

Did you do a Google for "kenyon"? Many boats of that era(including mine) were outfitted with Kenyon pressurized alcohol stoves. I have the manual at home but I think I have seen it online somewhere. Mine had a separate tank in another compartment. It was attached with a rubberized hose of some type. Some tanks had a built-in pump like a Coleman. Mine required a separate bicycle-type pump.

I have replaced mine with an Origo. Still alcohol but non-pressurized. You just light it. The pressurized stoves required that you preheat a little cup around the burner.
Old 01-08-2004

pilot2sailor is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the tip. I''ll go do a search and see what I come up with. I''m not sure what brand of stove or who the manufacturer was. If anyone knows what kind of alcohol stove came in a Pearson 30, feel free to chime in.

Phil
Old 01-08-2004

c172guy is on a distinguished road

We have a Pearson 323 with an alcohol stove. The pressureised tank is near the nav station and we pump it up with a bicycle pump. We''ve had some experiences with this stove. Before you pump it up make sure everything is off!!!!! Our hose also leaked and we filled up the oven with fuel when we didn''t notice the stove valve was open. Alcohol burns with an almost invisable flame.
We turn on the fuel briefly and try to light the stove. Repeat until it lights. There is usually a flare up but unless it''s real big it''s no problem. We just start cooking. Once the flare up dies down we turn the fuel back on.
It cooks reasonably well. My wife has had all three burners going at once. We haven''t tried the oven. We always release the pressure after cooking.
Be carefull until you get used to the thing. Remember that alcohol mixes with water so you can use water to put out a fire. With diesel or gas you can''t as they float on top of the water.
My wife at first wanted a propane stove. But once she realised that propane could blow up the boat she changed her mind. We have only had the boat six months and we may yet replace the stove.
My brother told me that he started his stove by using tube fuel like they use for camp stoves to prewarm. I haven''t tried that yet. We buy fuel at Home Depot. The stove stinks a little but nothing like kerosene. We don''t have kids and if you do be real carefull that they don''t mess with the stove!!!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.