SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Measuring stainless dimension.

885 views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  captainrizzo 
#1 ·
I apologize in advance for perhaps stupid question. I have an Ericson 25+ and have inherited a custom bimini off a wrecked E25+. Everything complete except the rail mounts which I must buy. Will have to be hinge jaw slides that I put on my stock pulpit rail. For the life of me, I can't figure out whether my rail is 7/8 or 1 inch. I can make a tape measure indicate either measurement. Anyone have a good guess? The stainless jaw slides are pricey and I'd like to get it right the first time. Thanks. Greg

#4 ·
Take an adjustable wrench (or caliper), measure the 'open span' of the adjustable wrench as it fits on the tubing ... with a steel tape measure, etc. that has 'fine' gradations imprinted. Take 3 measurements and 'average' the measurements, or 'throw out' any measurement that isnt close to the other 2, then average the 2 remaining.

:)

#5 ·
Thanks. I'll give it a try. There seems to be so little difference (1/8) that I need to be pretty precise with the circum mearsurement. Am 3 plus hours from boat and am trying to avoid W . . t marine to buy fittings. Can save substantial bucks on line. Anybody with an E-25 or E-27 out there who knows?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.