Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-12-2012

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Question Whisker Pole?

After man-handling the spin pole on the foredeck this last Sunday, to pole-out the genoa, I got to thinking a whisker pole might be a nice addition to Abracadabra. The kite pole is heavy and not really long enough to pole a #1 out well.

Near as I can tell, we'd need a whisker pole that'd go from 12' (if we wanted to pole out the #3) to 20' (for polling out the 155s), but it looks like something like that would cost somewhere around $500-$600?!?!

Thanks,
Jim
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-12-2012
Great Lakes Sailor

padean is on a distinguished road
Re: Whisker Pole?

I understand what you are after. Don't think you really need to pole out the 155 all the way, and I would settle for a pole for your size boat that goes from about 16-18 feet. If you are planning to be able to use this as a whisker pole for your entire range of headsails you will definitely need an adjustable pole, which may cost in the $400-600 range for a good pole.

On the other hand, look around and ask around your yacht club or local marina. Put an ad in the newsletters. I picked up a pretty nice adjustable aluminum pole for $50 from a guy that had 3 spinnaker poles and wanted to clear up space. Wasn't the exact size I needed, but I have never found it to be inadequate for my 34' boat, and the savings is pretty nice for a tool I use infrequently and probably need even less. Although it is a little short, I have been known to attach the pole to my shrouds with using the full 155 genoa on a downwind run just to hold the clew out and keep it from flopping.

*DISCLAIMER* I don't sail dead downwind much, however, so I don't do much wing-and-wing sailing, and usually use the spinnaker whenever sailing downwind. Therefore I may not be as experienced as some members.

I would defer to the other members that use whisker poles more often, but a little creative compromise can save you big $.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward
Old 06-12-2012

tommays will become famous soon enough

I have both and the bigger the better

You take a PHRF hit for a pole longer than your J around here and they ARE in fact faster as you can project the 150 much better

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-12-2012

Stumble is on a distinguished road

Lol the longest wisker pole I have seen is an Olson 29 around here that has a converted 30' spinnaker pole. Longer really is better, and even the recommended minimum for a P30 is 19' for a 155%.

I can't make any good recommendations, it's either spend the money and get what's right, search through second hand stores until you find something that will work, or spend the money on a carbon fiber spinnaker pole. Tough choice.

The recommendation is the whisker pole should be the same leingth as the measured not actual foot of the sail. So a 155 jib for you should be on a (1.55*12'8") 19.6 foot whisker pole. But remember you really need some overage, since telescoping poles need a little overlap for strength. tough call.
Old 06-12-2012

SchockT is on a distinguished road

No matter how much people would like to believe it is, a genoa is not a good sail for broad reaching or running! Why mess around with a rediculously long pole to make it less bad? Instead of spending money on a giant whisker pole, you would be better off putting the money towards the asymetric idea you brought up in another thread. You could even sell some or all of your symetric spin gear to help finance the conversion.

Keep in mind that whether you fly an a-kite or a genoa you will not be able to run deep effectively. Symetric spinnakers will always be able to sail deeper faster, and trying to run with them is a loosing proposition most of the time. With a-kites and genoas you have to "play the angles", and sail higher to keep your speed up. That additional boatspeed will drive your apparent wind angle forward, allowing you to work down. Accept the fact that you will be gybing a whole lot more than the boats that are just sailing DDW.

Last edited by SchockT; 06-12-2012 at 02:58 PM.
Old 06-12-2012

puddinlegs is on a distinguished road

Schock, I get what you're saying, but for cruising running downwind with the jib poled out can be very effect for DDW work. Sure, a big sym kite is well, big and faster, but there's a lot of 'depends' (crew/boat/sea state/wind) on the answer for the right sail combo downhill.
Old 06-12-2012

tommays will become famous soon enough

It gets interesting every week as are Spinaker Division has a mix of both and the angles are much different on the A-sail boats

The sprit kits with the furling units have become really common this year at a BIG cost

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 06-12-2012

Of course cruising is a different story. Because Semijim mentioned that he was doing some racing I assumed that was part of his motivation for improving downwind performance.

Personally I almost NEVER sail ddw when I am cruising. I hate it, my wife hates it and my boat hates it! The only time I will run deep is if I am sailing through narrow channel. I would much rather be reaching; the boat is powered up, it doesn't wallow, apparent wint increases so we don't get too hot, and we go faster, and fast is fun!
Old 06-12-2012

MarkSF is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchockT View Post
No matter how much people would like to believe it is, a genoa is not a good sail for broad reaching or running! Why mess around with a rediculously long pole to make it less bad? Instead of spending money on a giant whisker pole, you would be better off putting the money towards the asymetric idea you brought up in another thread. You could even sell some or all of your symetric spin gear to help finance the conversion.

Keep in mind that whether you fly an a-kite or a genoa you will not be able to run deep effectively. Symetric spinnakers will always be able to sail deeper faster, and trying to run with them is a loosing proposition most of the time. With a-kites and genoas you have to "play the angles", and sail higher to keep your speed up. That additional boatspeed will drive your apparent wind angle forward, allowing you to work down. Accept the fact that you will be gybing a whole lot more than the boats that are just sailing DDW.
What if you HAVE to run DDW? (like the 4 mile run down the estuary I do to get home)? An asymmetric won't fly any better than a genoa without pole.

Gybing around to keep the genoa full in a confined estuary is slow. I know this as we strolled past a number of boats on Sunday who were doing just this, while I had my genoa and pole deployed.

The pole is not ridiculously long. It extends from 10ft to 18ft under line control. The deployment is done with it retracted, then it gets extended. Anyone who has the strength to sail could do it in 30s.

So what you have is an easy way to go much faster DDW - not as fast as a spinnaker, but still better than nothing, and much easier to deploy and needing less crew to handle (ie, one)

To the OP, sounds like the Forespar LC10-18 is what you need. Might be the best $600-$700 you spend, in terms of performance return vs. cost.
Old 06-12-2012

Point taken MarkSF! All any of us can do is draw upon our own experiences, and I can safely say I have never had to run down an estuary! If it is something you are forced to do every time you go sailing, I can understand wanting to make it as easy as possible.