SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Small Centerboard repair (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/88567-small-centerboard-repair.html)

AnoushW 06-13-2012 02:28 PM

Small Centerboard repair

Just bought a 14' Holder - my first boat - but the previous owner had not secured the centerboard before trailering it home last time out and put a "ding" in the board when it hit the support on the trailer. It's about 2" tall and only 3/4" pushed in, but I know that's enough to cause a water problem. Can anyone suggest the best DIY fix and/or materials to use in this case?
I could also use anti-fouling advice: I'm in the Chesapeake Bay area of VA.

Thanks!

CalebD 06-13-2012 02:34 PM

Re: Small Centerboard repair

Welcome.
The Holder 14' is a fun boat.
I'd use some epoxy and cloth for the center board ding repair.
WEST SYSTEM | Use Guides

If you mostly keep the boat on a trailer you should not need antifouling paint. If you mostly leave it in the water on a mooring or at a dock then a cheap ablative AF paint like CPP from west marine should be fine.
Enjoy.

AnoushW 06-14-2012 12:23 AM

Thanks for the advice - I just got the West System guide to hull & keel repair for a little "light reading"!
Being a newbie at boat care, I appreciate the advice.

CalebD 06-14-2012 02:37 AM

You are welcome AnoushW.
Without a picture of the ding I can't tell how much material needs to be added on after grinding the damaged areas down.
You can't go wrong with the West System epoxy if you follow the directions pretty closely. They have small kits (which are pricey) and/or cans of the hardener and resin that come with pumps that measure out exactly the amount you need. If you don't to add much material to your C/B you may not need the can (1 pt. resin + smaller can for hardener).
So are you planning on keeping your boat on your trailer or in the water most of the time?

brehm62 06-14-2012 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CalebD (Post 884586)
You can't go wrong with the West System epoxy if you follow the directions pretty closely. They have small kits (which are pricey) and/or cans of the hardener and resin that come with pumps that measure out exactly the amount you need. If you don't to add much material to your C/B you may not need the can (1 pt. resin + smaller can for hardener).

I've used West System and it is a good epoxy.
I've used Raka and it is also a good epoxy. Here's the comparison:

West Marine - West System
1 quart 105 epoxy resin: $40
0.44 pint 206 slow hardener: $20
1 set 300 series mini-pumps: $15

$75 for 1.22 quarts, West System

Raka Inc - Raka epoxy
1 1/2 quart kit - $40
1 quart 127 resin
1/2 quart 606 slow hardener
1 set of pumps: $12

$52 for 1.5 quarts, Raka

I suppose you could get a smaller kit. For example, a 1 1/2 pint kit from Raka is $24. However, that is 24 ounces. I typically mix up 3 ounces at a time so that would be only 8 batches. Two tablespoons are an ounce so that would be about six tablespoons to give you idea. This is also less attractive because the pumps still cost $12 so a kit half the size is $36.