Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-18-2012

Romario is on a distinguished road
Kerosine lamp

I have a kerosine lamp like the picture attached and it's wick is all burned out, I wanted to replace it, but can't take it apart. Is it even possible? It seems heavy, so there is some fuel in it, but it doesn't bubble when I shake it. I can take the glass off, but after that everything else seems to fit tightly and I can't unscrew anything. I was afraid if I pull too hard it will break.

There is some rust on the lamp, so it might be that I just need to pull the center part harder to get it out.
Attached Thumbnails
Kerosine lamp-lamp.jpg  
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-18-2012
Senior Moment Member

AncientTech is on a distinguished road
Re: Kerosine lamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romario View Post
I have a kerosine lamp like the picture attached and it's wick is all burned out, I wanted to replace it, but can't take it apart. Is it even possible? It seems heavy, so there is some fuel in it, but it doesn't bubble when I shake it. I can take the glass off, but after that everything else seems to fit tightly and I can't unscrew anything. I was afraid if I pull too hard it will break.

There is some rust on the lamp, so it might be that I just need to pull the center part harder to get it out.
I have an older lamp from the 70's. When I replaced the wick I would take off the glass (mine just slid out). unscrew the burner cap on the top middle (can not remember if it was clockwise or counter clockwise). This was the part with the tiny knob to change wick height. I would use the knob to roll out the wick through the top slot then insert the new wick into the bottom and use the knob again to feed it up through the slot. Then screw the burner cap back on after dropping the bottom of the wick underneath back into the base. wait a few minutes to relight it so the fuel can soak up into the new wick. I always adjusted the wick low when first starting it so it wouldn't burn out the top after it was lit.

If you have a stuck burner top you can try an old boy scout alternative method of feeding the wick in from the top after using the adjusting knob to remove the old wick by feeding it out of the top. I have always been overly cautious when hearing the word kerosene and sailboat together. Please be careful.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook