Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2012

Romario is on a distinguished road
Port windows replacement

I need to replace port windows on my O'Day 30 since they are leaking and some of them are actually falling apart (they crack on the screws and the bolts).

I have two types - looks like one of the windows was replaced and it's in ok shape, the ones that need replacing say PYHI:

the other is also PYHI but it has knobs instead of those flat things:

Does anyone know what type of windows are those and what should I replace it with?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-18-2012
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Re: Port windows replacement

Romario, most ports will fit close, if you go to beckson.com you can buy some that are really cheap. or you could buy from marine suppliers. MY O30 has 4, 4X10 (ish) and the beckson fit well with just a little shaving of the opening. what is that one with 3 clamps? there are only 2 clamps on the ones in my boat.
btw, PYHI is no more.

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
Romario, most ports will fit close, if you go to beckson.com you can buy some that are really cheap. or you could buy from marine suppliers. MY O30 has 4, 4X10 (ish) and the beckson fit well with just a little shaving of the opening. what is that one with 3 clamps? there are only 2 clamps on the ones in my boat.
btw, PYHI is no more.
Yeah, I understood from research that PYHI is gone. There are actually 5 clamps on each of them, two more on the vertical sides. And they still leak
Old 06-18-2012
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

Oh.. your windows are actually ports.. I think the earlier O30s were built that way. Cool.. you at least get fresh air! The gaskets lose there resilience and the frames meet plastic to plastic. You could maybe get the gaskets to stand out more by putting a bead of caulk in the groove and lightly pressing the gasket back in.

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-04-2012

Ok, I unscrewed one of the ports, the cutout size is 7-1/2'' by 14-1/2''. I can't find the exact size, but I guess I can get bigger versions and cut a little bit.

So far on my list:

Bomar Molded Gray Series Portlight

What port do I need? by Beckson - number 714

There is also one from new found metals:

New Found Metals - The New Self-Sealing TriMatrix - 7" x 15"

Did anyone try any of these? What do you think I should buy? One thing to note - the walls on the boat are pretty thin, they are basically two sheets of fiberglass, inner and outer one with air in between, so looks like for the newfoundmetals one I would need a teak spacer.
Old 09-04-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

"basically two sheets of fiberglass, inner and outer one with air in between,"
Without a solid filler panel, you will get leaks again. You might want to checkthe width of that gap and see if you can use some cheap cutting boards from the dollar store (which tend to be HDPE or other good stable plastic) or else order in some similar plastic material instead of teak (expensive! and still can rot) to fill the gap and be the spacer.
Old 09-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
"basically two sheets of fiberglass, inner and outer one with air in between,"
Without a solid filler panel, you will get leaks again. You might want to checkthe width of that gap and see if you can use some cheap cutting boards from the dollar store (which tend to be HDPE or other good stable plastic) or else order in some similar plastic material instead of teak (expensive! and still can rot) to fill the gap and be the spacer.
It wasn't leaking there, the leak was from the lens, the gasket cracked I think and it started leaking between the glass and the rubber that is around the glass.
Old 09-04-2012
BJV

bvander66 is on a distinguished road

I have replaced some of our ports with the brass new found metal ports, little pricey but outstanding quality, kind which will last a long time. If you order them make sure you also order the buytl rubber, works a lot better than chauking.
Old 09-04-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Romario, if the cabin side is not solid (filled) then it will flex, which in turn will make the rim of the portlights flex, which in turn will give you stress cracks and leaks at some point, from some part of the portlight. Bottom line, if the whole rim is not clamping down on the cabin side with uniform pressure on all parts, all fastenings? Something is going to localize stresses, and crack or leak. Sooner or later, but it will.
Old 09-04-2012
Reforming Stinkpotter

captainjay is on a distinguished road

Don't kill yourself, go to the hardware store and get some Great Stuff Foam, get the minimally expanding version made for doors and windows. Fill the gap with this. Pick the closest hatch you can find size wise, slightly larger and just trim out the openings to fit. I would check Great Lakes Skipper he sells new surplus and has deals if you can find a size that fits.
Jay