Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-10-2004

docket is on a distinguished road
Sailcare

Has anyone used them to have their sails reconditioned? Their website is www.sailcare.com. While the website looks favorable, and I have found very little negative on the web, I was curious if anyone has any experience with them before I ship my 15 year old sails off. I am interested in terms of total price because I assume that the cleaning process itself is the loss leader and they probably make it up on the repairs. Any input is appreciated so that I can decide if I should just bite the bullet for new sails. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-10-2004

windancer1 is on a distinguished road
Sailcare

I have spoken to them at the sail expo shows and they took my 30 year old sails for evaluation, said that they were past hope and they sent them back shipping prepaid. I have a friend who had a main done. He was very impressed. Also Practical Sailor had high praise for them. I have since had new sails made one North and one AirForce, when they need cleaning, I will use Sailcare.

Dave R.
Old 01-10-2004

Stede is on a distinguished road
Sailcare

docket,

I just received my 10 yr.old Genny back from Sailcare. They repaired some loose stitching in one of the panels, and reconditioned the sail.I''m very pleased with the results and am planning on sending my mainsail for reconditioning also.
Old 01-11-2004
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Sailcare

Have used them several times in the past and always with excellent results. In addition to cleaning/refurbishing they do an excellent job of repairing sails and adding reef points etc. HIGHLY recommended and no personal interest...just like to see good folks get business!
Old 01-11-2004

gunnyman is on a distinguished road
Sailcare

Sailcare has done work for me in the past and I have been extremely happy with their services. Redid an 11 year old main on an S2 I owned and I was really impressed. Presently awaiting the return of my main for my cat. Granted they are not miracle workers as they do have to have something to work with. Either way they will evaluate your sail and give you a firm price. And will only proceed with your approval.I highly recommend them to you.
Old 01-12-2004

cgha33 is on a distinguished road
Sailcare

I used Sailcare two years ago to clean and repair both my cruising main and jib, and I thought that they did an excellent job. The sails, which were seriously old, looked very good when they were returned. I had become so used to the sails being soft and pliable that I failed to realize how much attention they needed.

The company worked wonders on them.

I sold my boat last fall, and have now purchased a larger boat. The sails on this boat are also old, dirty and pliable, and should be replaced. But I sent them off too to Sailcare just before New Year''s and I''m sure that I''ll get at least a couple more years out of them.

Old 04-13-2004

GordMay is on a distinguished road
Sailcare

The following Sail Cleaning advice comes from a respected boatwright, but seem a little "harsh" (to me).
Will anyone offer an informed opinion?

Witch''s Brew for sail cleaningfrom “Anzam Yacht Refurbishing” http://www.anzam.com/index_001.htm

To a bucket of water (2gal. or so +/-) add:
1 cup of boat soap
1/4 cup of TSP powder (Tri-sodiumphosfate)
1/4 cup of Oxalic Acid powder.

Apply solution, scrub with very soft brush, rinse with fresh water, apply solution, scrub again, rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse and let sun dry.

If possible, suspend the sail in sunlight. This works better than laying it on grass etc.

The boat soap makes bubbles and suspends the dirt for rinsing, the TSP gets the oil and dirt out, the Oxalic removes the rust stains.

If any of the "rust" stains are really stubborn, wet them with the above solution and work some additional Oxalic Acid powder into the area to make a paste... Leave it for a couple of minutes and rinse off while scrubbing with the **soft** brush.

If you can''t find Oxalic Powder (normally stocked at most hardware stores), use household "Deck Cleaner" crystals. This is not a boat deck cleaner, but wooden house decks (patio).
Old 04-13-2004

psness is on a distinguished road
Sailcare

I just bought a DS II and the sails are structurally good other than two small holes in the jib. There are a few rust? stains, some mildew stains and the seams are cruddy. Before sending them off I thought I''d try cleaning them. Would the new "oxy" cleaners do any harm? I thought of soaking them in a tub with the stuff then hoisting them up a tree in the back yard and rinsing them with a hose. Any thoughts?
Old 04-13-2004

RichH will become famous soon enough
Sailcare

This is essentially the same ''brew'' that Ive used for many years on dacron (not dacron laminate) sails. There is ONE major difference: apply the TSP in a single step (without the oxalic) then rinse thoroughly then apply the oxalic where needed as a single step. If you mix the TSP with the oxalic you will neutralize the components and all you get is salty water - just basic chemistry.
Old 04-13-2004

psness is on a distinguished road
Sailcare

Where do you get TSP?