Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-20-2012

tommays will become famous soon enough
Re: Furler hard to unfurl/furl on genoa

Profurl Bearings

looks like my profurl which have sealed metal beraings

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-20-2012

RichH will become famous soon enough

Loosen the halyard and 'spin' the drum by hand .... if spins freely its not the bearings in the lower unit.
Drop the sail and do the same with upper swivel .... if spins freely its not the bearings in the 'top swivel' unit.

THEN ... raise the sail and look to see where the top swivel is - it should (usually) be within 1 - 2" of the VERY TOP of the foil. You can do the same thing by raising the sail all-the-way-up with its tack disconnected .... when the disconnected tack sail is raised there should only be a gap or ~2" between the sails tack and the furler drum connection.
If the sail's luff is too short for the foil which leaves the upper top swivel at GREATER than 1 - 2" below the TOP of the foil, then make up a pendent of rope, etc. to make up the distance (your choice if the pendent attaches to the head or tack of the sail) .... so that the top-swivel is near that 1-2" from the top of the foil. This will create the correct 'lead angle' for the top swivel - the angle that the halyard makes from its sheave exit to the top swivel connection. Your furler manual has this exact angle - called 'lead angle'.

If the lead angle is LESS than whats specified the halyard will invariably 'wrap' and bind the top swivel as you attempt to furl. You can usually see with binoculars the halyard 'toggling' around the top swivel when the lead angle is 'wrong', the halyard is now interfering ('toggling' or 'attempting to wrap around the swivel') with the top swivel causing the apparent 'jam'.
If the pendent doesnt solve your problem ... then you need a 'diverter block' installed at near the top of the mast so that the 'lead angle' is correct.

Rx: If its not the bearings, then assay the halyard 'lead angle' at the top swivel.

Last edited by RichH; 06-20-2012 at 02:39 PM.
Old 06-20-2012

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

A client, who worked for a rigger, spent a lot of time getting rid of the halyard swivel, replacing it with a block on the side of the extrusion, eliminating that problem.
Old 06-20-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichH View Post
Loosen the halyard and 'spin' the drum by hand .... if spins freely its not the bearings in the lower unit.
Drop the sail and do the same with upper swivel .... if spins freely its not the bearings in the 'top swivel' unit.

THEN ... raise the sail and look to see where the top swivel is - it should (usually) be within 1 - 2" of the VERY TOP of the foil. You can do the same thing by raising the sail all-the-way-up with its tack disconnected .... when the disconnected tack sail is raised there should only be a gap or ~2" between the sails tack and the furler drum connection.
If the sail's luff is too short for the foil which leaves the upper top swivel at GREATER than 1 - 2" below the TOP of the foil, then make up a pendent of rope, etc. to make up the distance (your choice if the pendent attaches to the head or tack of the sail) .... so that the top-swivel is near that 1-2" from the top of the foil. This will create the correct 'lead angle' for the top swivel - the angle that the halyard makes from its sheave exit to the top swivel connection. Your furler manual has this exact angle - called 'lead angle'.

If the lead angle is LESS than whats specified the halyard will invariably 'wrap' and bind the top swivel as you attempt to furl. You can usually see with binoculars the halyard 'toggling' around the top swivel when the lead angle is 'wrong', the halyard is now interfering ('toggling' or 'attempting to wrap around the swivel') with the top swivel causing the apparent 'jam'.
If the pendent doesnt solve your problem ... then you need a 'diverter block' installed at near the top of the mast so that the 'lead angle' is correct.

Rx: If its not the bearings, then assay the halyard 'lead angle' at the top swivel.
I belive this is the case. As a rigger in Miami I installed a lot of "diverter bolcks" on boats to change the angle of the Hallyard to the swivel. That "hump" sound is the top extrusion coming free of the hallyard.
Old 06-22-2012

CaptainWabamun is on a distinguished road

Rosmario - was expereincing same issue with my new-to-me Catalina 27 during my first weeks of sailing with it last summer. Problem was halyard wrap at the top of the furler. At least two remedies - I tried first last summe without much success which was adding a modified piece of cable to get some more distance between the top furler drum and the halyard. Eliminated some but not all occasions of the problem. Going up mast tomorrow to try second remedy which is to add a halyard organizer onto the mast to achieve a recomended 10 degree angle and more controlled distance between my halyard, the forestay and the furler drum.

..with such short seasons for sailing up north I'll be setting mast climbing record I am sure ;')

Barry