SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Furler hard to unfurl/furl on genoa (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/88804-furler-hard-unfurl-furl-genoa.html)

Romario 06-19-2012 08:46 PM

Furler hard to unfurl/furl on genoa

1 Attachment(s)
When I try to unfurl the furler it goes very hard, I need to pull a lot and someone else needs to help at the base with hands. It kind of goes a bit without much effort, then gets stuck and I need significant effort to continue, then after the "hump" it goes easier again.
What could be the problem - I don't see anything in the way at the bottom, I am thinking that something is stuck at the top, like a piece of rope or maybe it needs some lube.

Here is the pic (got my leg there, don't have a better one at the moment) - the furler name is Profurl.

SchockT 06-19-2012 09:09 PM

Re: Furler hard to unfurl/furl on genoa

The first thing to do is look up. Do you have any extra halyards that could be fouling? How much backstay tension have you got? If you have an adjustable backstay, ease it off. If that doesn't do it, pull the sail off and inspect and test your swivel. You may need new bearings in the top, bottom or both.

pdqaltair 06-19-2012 09:18 PM

Sounds like bearings. Wasn't so bad on mine (different model).

Sail Delmarva: Hood Seafurl 800 Bearing Replacement

jackdale 06-19-2012 10:43 PM

I have jammed loose spin halyards in the swivel. They have to be bar hard to prevent that. But they do not turn once jammed. I would suspect bearings. Make sure you flush out the lower ones regularly.

Are you keeping slight tension on the furling line as you unfurl the sail? You will get a rats nest if you just let it go, and it will jam.

arf145 06-20-2012 10:34 AM

The effort to furl/unfurl my Hood unit got harder and harder until it froze. Bearings, etc were corroded.

Romario 06-20-2012 11:36 AM

So, looks like bearings could be corroded - arf145, did you replace them? Is it hard to do?

Nicklaus 06-20-2012 12:02 PM

I’ve had a similar problem with mine resulting from the angle the line enters / exits the furler.

It doesn’t render it useless, but if my wife is unfurling the sail I will go up on the bow and push the line down so it exits the furler at an easier angle.

Romario 06-20-2012 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicklaus (Post 886953)
Iíve had a similar problem with mine resulting from the angle the line enters / exits the furler.

It doesnít render it useless, but if my wife is unfurling the sail I will go up on the bow and push the line down so it exits the furler at an easier angle.

I don't think it's an angle in this case - I was up there when we were unfurling and I needed to push with my hands in addition to people pulling. The rope was on ok angle.

rbrasi 06-20-2012 12:47 PM

I have the same furler. The bearings are a nylon-like material, so corrosion is probably not to blame. Mine had problems because the sections that the sail attaches to separated and I ripped my Genny (twice). Make sure all the sections have set screws and they are tight.

arf145 06-20-2012 01:31 PM

Ah, sounds like rbrasi is your guy--has the same furler. But in answer to your Q, no, I didn't replace. My Hood unit was all corroded inside and had to be replaced.