SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Shipmate Gimbaled Gas Range (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/88845-shipmate-gimbaled-gas-range.html)

FineKetch 06-20-2012 08:03 PM

Shipmate Gimbaled Gas Range

Wondering if anyone has documentation, parts list, drawings, owners manual, etc. for the old Shipmate line of gimbaled LPG ranges.

I have recently pulled a 40+ yr old Shipmate 3 burner (model 885G) as part of my boat restoration project. Looks to be in OK shape, but I'm trying to determine if I should refurbish and keep the unit, or replace.

Thank you in advance for any assistance.

poopdeckpappy 06-20-2012 10:58 PM

Keep it, google shipmate and you'll find a parts supplier and manual.

My shipmate 3 burner is 30+ yrs old, it works and looks great

RichH 06-20-2012 11:23 PM

Re: Shipmate Gimbaled Gas Range

The Shipmate stoves are all made from common RobertShaw gas control components. The only thing that you may not find are new burner rings for the top burners. Otherwise, the best place to get Shipmate parts is "Sailorman" in Ft. Lauderdale, Fl (?).

These as well as most older propane stoves have a tendency to form a 'glaze' over the thermocouple which needs to be 'sanded' off. With accumulated glaze the 'safety valves' (the one with the 'push buttons' on top of the stove) may not work correctly and the pilot lights wont stay lit - the glaze insulates the control thermocouples for the oven safety valves. 220 sandpaper works great to shine-up and de-glaze the thermocouples.

FineKetch 06-20-2012 11:43 PM

Well done friends - many thanks for responding.

I'm all for refurbishing my unit and continuing to get many more years out of it if I can.

I did an internet search on Shipmate and came up blank regarding the old stoves such a mine. I checked out the Shipmate website, and they seem to be a new company unrelated to the original Richmond Ring Co who was the manufacturer. They manufacture only wood burning cast iron units. I'll still contact them and see if they can provide a lead. I'll also reach out to "Sailorman" and try there.

If you think of any other suppliers or leads where I might go to, I'd appreciate the referral.

Thanks

MarkSF 06-21-2012 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichH (Post 887219)
The Shipmate stoves are all made from common RobertShaw gas control components. The only thing that you may not find are new burner rings for the top burners. Otherwise, the best place to get Shipmate parts is "Sailorman" in Ft. Lauderdale, Fl (?).

These as well as most older propane stoves have a tendency to form a 'glaze' over the thermocouple which needs to be 'sanded' off. With accumulated glaze the 'safety valves' (the one with the 'push buttons' on top of the stove) may not work correctly and the pilot lights wont stay lit - the glaze insulates the control thermocouples for the oven safety valves. 220 sandpaper works great to shine-up and de-glaze the thermocouples.

The problem with mine is that, although I can light the pilot light and it stays lit, the oven temperature control knob won't turn. It's literally stuck.

Any idea why that might be?

VallelyJ 07-02-2012 11:02 PM

I have an old Shipmate 3 burner propane stove manual I'll scan and swap for a Shipmate burner knob.
John V.

SVTatia 07-03-2012 12:07 AM

For Shipmate stove replacement parts and to service old ones this is the place:

SEAWARD STOVES, SHIPMATE STOVE PARTS items in GEARBUSTERS store on eBay!

Email John with any questions - he is very helpful and he has all the parts including knobs.

FineKetch 07-03-2012 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VallelyJ (Post 891952)
I have an old Shipmate 3 burner propane stove manual I'll scan and swap for a Shipmate burner knob.
John V.

John V

Reading your response to my search for documentation for a 3-burner Shipmate stove. I'd love to swap you a burner knob for a scanned copy of your manual, but seeing as I have only what is on the unit and I'm beginning a restoration I need all the parts that I have.

Perhaps you could suggest another solution for obtaining a copy of your manual.

VallelyJ 07-03-2012 11:06 PM

I'll dig it up next time I'm at the boat and get back to you.

FineKetch 07-04-2012 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VallelyJ (Post 892382)
I'll dig it up next time I'm at the boat and get back to you.

John V

Thank you

Mark