SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Lazy Jacks (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/88862-lazy-jacks.html)

AirborneSF 06-21-2012 01:19 PM

Lazy Jacks

Hi all, is a topping lift needed for 'lazy jacks' to work properly? I shouldn't think so, but more here know WAY more than I. Thanks.

szigi 06-21-2012 01:25 PM

Re: Lazy Jacks

Lazy jacks are no substitute for topping lift. They shouldn't really be used to hold the wight of the sail and the boom. But it is not required for the lazy jacks to work, you could have a solid vang for example.

AirborneSF 06-21-2012 02:27 PM

That's what I thought, I no longer have a topping lift, and a 'soft vang'. When I ease my main, the boom drops into the cockpit, and that is why I asked, what with the end on the boom going down, how would the L-J's work? Thanks.

amyspins 06-21-2012 02:35 PM

I have a dutchman flaking system- the topping lift is crucial - I have a halyard attached to the topping lift to raise and lower the boom. No vang

AirborneSF 06-21-2012 02:46 PM

Well I have a 'lift' off my backstay I use to hold the boom when not sailing, but it's a PITA if not at the dock. I was just wondering how well they worked without a topping lift. Thanks.

jackdale 06-21-2012 02:50 PM

A rigid vang can hold the boom up.

Faster 06-21-2012 02:53 PM

Lazy jacks would be far too taut if they are also providing 'topping lift' functionality. A rigid vang or a proper topping lift is required for proper utility.

Another thing to keep in mind.. a boom that drops drastically can put a lot of strain on the lower two or three main sail slugs and in some cases might pull them out of the track or worse; jam partway. Given your current setup I'd strongly recommend that someone be assigned to support the boom during a sail drop until you can transfer the halyard to the end of the boom to act as a topping lift.

chef2sail 06-21-2012 04:51 PM

Our E-Z jacks would be have to holding up the boom and be taunt if not for the topping lift when we lowered the sail. Not their intended purpose nor would it give us the correct flaking as the sail dropped.

dave

Tim R. 06-21-2012 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AirborneSF (Post 887435)
That's what I thought, I no longer have a topping lift, and a 'soft vang'. When I ease my main, the boom drops into the cockpit, and that is why I asked, what with the end on the boom going down, how would the L-J's work? Thanks.

The weight of the boom would pull the lazy jacks tight and you would not be able to properly flake your main. You should have a topping lift or a solid vang for the LJs to work properly.

AirborneSF 06-21-2012 06:13 PM

Thank you all for your replys, you all confirmed what I thought. Guess I'll just keep hand flaking at the mast for the time being, rats! Well as I said "thanks" for the info, and "Fair Winds,and Smooth Water", to all.