Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-01-2012

Bruce_L is on a distinguished road
Re: Spongey Deck-Converted to Anchor Locker

Well after a lot of ideas and thought I'm going with an under-mounted sloped/angled box. To make my job easier and still have access to all the hardware nuts and bolts under the deck I am making the entire anchor locker removable just in case. I have a large removable opening hatch in the bulkhead at the font of the interior cabin front so I'll have no problem inserting it from below. So, if I glass in some support beams below deck and have a 2" fiberglass lip overhanging the inside edge, I should be able to lift up the locker from below and attach it with some stainless bolts running horizontal through each side panel of the locker to the glassed in supports hanging from the deck. Any water coming in the top lid will encounter a 2" glass lip and drain into the locker and out a thru-hole to the sea. Lots of extra work to make it removable but I want to maintain access to my front stay mounts, cleats, chocks, stanchion bases etc... Using epoxy for everything, coating everything very well.
Anyone see any major flaws with my idea, let me know >>>FAST !!!!!
I'm getting busy on this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-03-2012

Heres a few pix of the wooden locker. I am using the Arauco 1/2"plywood that I found out about here on sailnet. Its not marine plywood though. Its much tougher than ordinary pine plywood and has very few flaws. It also has 5 laminations not 3 like most plywood this size. Parts are not attached, just staged for a photo. I have since applied my 1st coat of epoxy, still need more coats and some glass too. Today I cut out the bottom and fasten everything together. The locker is sloped, 6" in front, 9" in back. I will locate a drain in the back and run it out near the bow instead of into the bilge. Lots of small details in this project, I'm sure I spend more time thinking ahead on details than actually cutting or gluing. Constantly thinking about where/how water will sneak in somewhere?
Attached Thumbnails
Spongey Deck-Converted to Anchor Locker-locker_2a_resized.jpg   Spongey Deck-Converted to Anchor Locker-anchor_locker_resized.jpg  
Old 07-03-2012

Not a whole lot of progress. Mostly coated both sides of the wooden parts. The side you see here is the grade-B side, the other side is picture perfect, no knots or blemishes. Using epoxy exclusively on this project so far. Next I will apply fiberglass cloth and epoxy over each piece before I assemble everything. I have found it much easier to work flat on a table if at all possible. All this takes time as this is a slow cure epoxy and I really need about 12 hours between applications. I will glass over all sides and edges. Don't omit the edges as this is where a lot of failures come from. I am careful and coat the end grain of the plywood at least two times before glassing over it. The exposed edges really soak up the epoxy just like they would soak up seawater too. All I'll have left to do is assemble everything. Will use a few screws to hold everything temporarily then tape all seams/joints on both sides with hemmed 4" cloth tape. The hemmed tape really makes the final project look good as it prevents all those cuts you would have done on a big peice of cloth from going fuzzy and clumping up in your brush. Learned this the hard way of course!!!! I always buy extra and use leftover hemmed tape for a lot of smaller repairs, its even easy to store a few feet rolled up in an emergency repair kit on board just in case. HAPPPY 4th Everyone!!!! Next years 4th of July I hope to be sailing on instead of covered in fiberglass !!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Spongey Deck-Converted to Anchor Locker-sides_1st-coat_resized.jpg  
Old 07-04-2012

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road

Sounds like you are hoping to get away without a drain in the bottom of the locker. Don't think that will work. To keep it removable, a hose fitting in the bottom and a hose to the overboard thru-hull would permit that.
Old 07-04-2012

Oh, I'm using a drain alright. Question is, how big a through hull should I use? Don't want a dinner plate plastered to the side of my boat ya know LOL Gotta get rid of water on a boat after all... Planed a drain from the get go... Thanks for keeping me on target anyhow. Bruce L
Old 07-04-2012
Irrationally Exuberant

arf145 is on a distinguished road

Just as a reference point, our anchor locker drain thruhull comes out right on the bow and is maybe an inch or inch and a quarter outside diam.

2000 Beneteau 331
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy ~ Steven Wright
Old 07-04-2012

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road

Drain doesn't need to be very large - 1/2 inch is fine. Just enough to get rid on any rainwater, spray, or other water that gets past the hatch cover.
Old 07-05-2012

Thanks for the info on the drain size. I found some nice drains that use a 3/4 hose barb. One even has a 90 degree bend that I'll use for the bottom of the locker to eliminate a tight bend in the hose, and the straight one for the hull exit. Hole I.D. works out to be about 1/2 inch.

Still coating epoxy onto all my pieces.

As the saying goes, "You can do it right or you can do it AGAIN" Will add the glass cloth soon.

Best thing I did on this project was set up a 4x8 plywood sheet on sawhorses as a work table and reserved one side as my epoxy mixing station. Bought the epoxy dispenser pumps to dispense the partA/B mix and it really makes it neater and easier to measure.

BTW, I found a vendor that sells a gallon (1/2 gallon partA + 1/2 gallon partB) of marine epoxy for $69 and does not gouge you on shipping or hazardous fees. I just ordered a gallon and some other items as well and my total shipping was only $10. I've paid more to have a single baseball hat delivered!!!!

epoxy5050.com (same vendor as clarkcraft wooden boat plans )

I have bought all my supplies here and they are fast to ship and they have good deals on all weights of fiberglass cloth too.

Not getting paid to say this, just trying to pass along a verified good deal thats all.

Will update some new pix after more progress. Bruce
Old 07-06-2012

Today I focused on resolving all the issues with the old balsa core/mush. Dug and dug from the edge cut with the saw blade earlier. Finally broke down and had to fabricate two "Tools" to help speed things up. Wanted to do it manually as a power tool like a Sawzall can do a lot of damage quick if you slip up just once. Located some 3/8 inch plywood that fit the existing core thickness perfectly and was really 3/8 "and not some rounded off value like a lot of materials tend to be today. Then I had to cut each piece to fill the void under the deck where the balsa rotted out. Then I used a table saw to cut "Kerfs" on the plywood while keeping a ply or two to keep the piece together still. Kerfs don't need to be perfect but are important to allow the plywood to bend easily to follow the existing contours of the deck. Without the kerfs, the plywood had to be forced into the slot and the deck looked wacky with the plywood in it. I hope the term Kerf is correct!!! I think thats what the pros call it. Drywall guys use this for arches I think.... The piece pictured is the smallest of them all about 12 x 4
Anyhow, I then coated the piece with epoxy, and I will re-coat each piece heavily as I slide it into the vacant area to be filled. I was tempted to try other methods but I have two bow cleats that will be bolted to my repair area and don't want a weak spot waiting to pop out at the worst possible time. So I went with the plywood. To make things easier, I broke down the repair into smaller sections in order to make it easier to insert the plywood. It will all be glued by the epoxy and fiberglass on each side. The repaired areas should be stringer than the original balsa core deck. So while all this is going on I am still waiting on the area under the top layer of the deck to finally dry out. Still pulling out damp balsa today and my boat has not seen any water for almost 5 weeks. It was a real mess under there after all. To dry the area faster I rigged up an old muffin fan and hung it upside down blowing the 95 degree shop air into the gap. The heat in the shop has been brutal lately but hey, I'm losing pounds I wanted to and my epoxy cures fast when I need it to, so there!!! Will not do any more work until I find no remaining moisture. I would say I am replacing almost 3 square feet of core at this time., not counting the lid to the anchor locker still. A slow process, but worth it. Here are some assorted pix of the kerfs, tools, fan...
Attached Thumbnails
Spongey Deck-Converted to Anchor Locker-kerfblock_resized_1a.jpg   Spongey Deck-Converted to Anchor Locker-kerfs_edge_view_resized.jpg   Spongey Deck-Converted to Anchor Locker-wet_epoxy_kerf_resized.jpg  
Old 07-06-2012

tools and the black 120vac muffin fan
Attached Thumbnails
Spongey Deck-Converted to Anchor Locker-muffin-fan-resized.jpg   Spongey Deck-Converted to Anchor Locker-digger-tools.jpg  

Tags
anchor locker