Join Date: Jun 2012
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 5
Re: Spongey Deck-Converted to Anchor Locker
Today the core was almost dry. Still wet in one corner so I did prep work on glassing the plywood locker sides and rear bulkhead. I also cut and kerfed the last piece of 3/8" ply for the core replacement. I then removed the front mount for the stay-turnbuckle as I suspected a weak deck joint there and I was right. Added 3 layers of biaxial cloth with epoxy and now have a good connection. Look in the photo and you can see the shiny area with fresh epoxy. You can also see all remnants/globs of the yellow spray foam someone tried to fix the core with with. I think since I have easy (well, sort of ...) access, I'll go ahead and glass the entire seam on both sides. Its only about 3 linear feet per side. This should tie the front deck securely so any cleats or fittings bolted to the deck will have a sturdy connection to the main hull as well. Overkill maybe, but I love the idea of never having to worry about something failing or leaking later on. Running low on epoxy, hope my shipment arrives soon!!!!