SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   fiberglass textured deck repair questions (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/88949-fiberglass-textured-deck-repair-questions.html)

willdadd 06-23-2012 10:01 PM

fiberglass textured deck repair questions

Hi All
My better half and I recently purchased a Maple Leaf 42, she had been neglected for probably 7 years and will require a fair amount of work to get ship shape, but luckily everything is there and we got her for a great price.

the decks will eventually have to be completley refinished, as the gelcoat has some spiderwebbing and chips, and at one point a previous owner had painted over a large portion...

which leads to my first question..

some parts of the decks are textured with a pattern that looks like tiny diamonds.. Im sure theres a name for this...

Regardless how would one go about repairing and refinishing these parts of the decks? I know a fair bit about fiberglass, and on flat surfaces I would pretty much sand it down, glaze putty it, guide coat etc, fill, prime and paint..

But obviously that would be very tough to do on the textured surfaces, and a large percentage of the decks are...

I would greatly appreciate any advice, Im sure someones been through this.

Faster 06-23-2012 11:27 PM

Re: fiberglass textured deck repair questions

There are a number of options here.

You can get rubber glue-down panels in various patterns and colours that can to a decent job, but they do age and breakdown over time, and are not inexpensive. (Trade name Treadmaster)

Applying nonskid texture can be done with thickened 2-part paint that 'pulls' up like whipped cream when rolled and then hardens. This can be very aggressive nonskid but hard on bare knees etc.

Interlux markets a nonskid paint that goes on quite easily and has good nonskid properties at a good price (Interdeck).. it does like to hold onto dirt, though.

Probably the most popular choice for DIY these days is "Kiwigrip" - lots of people happy with the results with this product.

Finally you can simply add grit (sand, walnut shell, rubber bits like Awlgrip's Griptex, whatever) to virtually any paint. Some stir it in, others 'sprinkle' it onto a wet coat like a salt shaker and then lay on another coat for uniformity of colour. Getting a uniform attractive job with this method can be tough..

From the stuff we see here on this and other sites, it looks like KiwiGrip is the ticket.

Waltthesalt 06-23-2012 11:29 PM

Practical Sailor ran a pretty thorough review of deck coatings, that's very informative. I think it was in 2011.

willdadd 06-24-2012 12:03 AM

Thanks for the information guys, so basically the process to refinish the topside decks would basically be to sand down (removing the texture) epoxy and repair cracks chips etc, glaze putty, air board etc, prime paint and add texture etc?

I want to get the topside and hull back to beautiful looking.

thanks again

willdadd 06-24-2012 12:28 AM

Ok I read up on kiwigrip, it sounds like a great product, I guess it would be best to sand smooth and patch the entire topside, and then to mask out the areas to be non skidded and apply kiwigrip after

Faster 06-24-2012 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willdadd (Post 888274)
Ok I read up on kiwigrip, it sounds like a great product, I guess it would be best to sand smooth and patch the entire topside, and then to mask out the areas to be non skidded and apply kiwigrip after

Sounds good..... except the 'topsides' are the sides of the hull above the waterline.. you're going to be refinishing your 'deck' ;).. (and maybe the topsides too, eventually... but hopefully not with Kiwigrip!)

willdadd 06-24-2012 01:10 AM

yes sorry I was referring to the fiberglass at and above deck level ;) my sailboat terminology is still growing

SVTatia 06-24-2012 02:24 AM

Willddad

The tiny diamonds pattern you are describing is called molded non-skid. Yes, in a simplistic way, you would need to either sand it smooth or fill the tiny cavities and sand some more, depending how much "wear" you've got. After that you'll need to paint the deck where the non-skid will not be applied. The third step is to mask, sand then apply the new non-skid.

tap 06-24-2012 03:40 AM

I was under the impression you could apply kiwigrip over the nonskid without sanding it out first. The kiwigrip goes on thick and fills the molded in textured pattern.

Irunbird 06-24-2012 07:17 AM

We're redoing our deck now (in stages, the aft half done first) with kiwigrip and love it. I've found that if the current non-skid areas are well-worn (ie scuffed), then it does stick, but needs to be clean first. If all you have is crazing in the gelcoat, and no real penetration where water can get into a cored area, then you can probably just clean/scuff the gelcoat and coat over it directly with kiwigrip. I've had to replace a small 1ft x 2ft section of deck core, and numerous other places where water did get in around hardware bolts, which I'm fixing and rebedding first, then I'm going to finish the rest of the deck. One thing about kiwigrip- it is much easier in cooler weather (<80 deg), or you have to work either fast or in small sections. Once it starts drying, you really need to be finished with the roll-texturing.