Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-23-2012

rdstanley is on a distinguished road
Time for new instruments

It looks like it's time to replace the old Navman instruments on the boat. I quess I should be greatful they've lasted as long as they have. I'm looking at the new Garmin GWS 10 system and the Raymarine i70. Does anyone have any experience with either? Has anyone connected a Raymarine autopilot to the Garmin system? I know it should be possible NMEA 0183 or 2000 but, just because something should work doesn't actually mean it will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-24-2012

Stumble is on a distinguished road
Re: Time for new instruments

I have a personal preference in favor of Raymarine, just because they sell all the bits from one supplier, and they all talk nicely to each other. Some mixed installations come off fine, others I have never gotten to work properly, and I have not been able to find a good reason why it works some times and not others.

Personally I think Raymarine is worth the extra money, and Garmin has had marginal customer support in my experience YMMV.
Old 06-24-2012

BarryL is on a distinguished road

Hey,

I don't have any experience with either of those. My question is if you're going to get the Garmin wind system, why not get the garmin display too? The comparable model to the Ray unit is the GMI10.

For some good information on these devices, visit Panbo.com

Panbo: The Marine Electronics Weblog: Raymarine i70 vs Garmin GMI 10, mission accomplished?

Barry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-24-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryL View Post
Hey,

I don't have any experience with either of those. My question is if you're going to get the Garmin wind system, why not get the garmin display too? The comparable model to the Ray unit is the GMI10.

For some good information on these devices, visit Panbo.com

Panbo: The Marine Electronics Weblog: Raymarine i70 vs Garmin GMI 10, mission accomplished?

Barry
Thanks Barry, if I go with the Garmin unit the only componet that would be Raymarine is the autopilot.
Old 06-24-2012

bigdogandy is on a distinguished road

I have a Raymarine X-5 wheelpilot connected to a Garmin 541s chartplotter.....NMEA 0183 connections weren't too hard to figure out and they work well together. Personally I like the Garmin chartplotters better than the ones made by the other manufacturers because of the wide range of charts that are available. I like Raymarine for everything else because I have had good experience with their reliability - even the wheelpilot has worked great for me although I read a lot of negative reviews about it here.
1981 Endeavour 32

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Be joyful though you have considered all the facts.
- Wendell Berry
Old 06-25-2012

MarkSF is on a distinguished road

My experience with connecting between devices from different manufacturers has not been a happy one.

Firstly I have a Lowrance HDS-5m plotter connected to a SH GX2150 VHF. I had a hell of a time getting the Lowrance to display AIS data from the VHF via NMEA 0183.

BTW, if you think Garmin support is marginal, Lowrance support exists to make Garmin look good. (Standard Horizon are excellent, BTW)

Secondly there was connecting the Lowrance via NMEA 2000 to a Garmin speed sensor. Turns out Lowrance left out the speed paddle calibration from their feature list. So having two NMEA 2000 certified devices is no guarantee that they'll work together. Garmin devices do have the necessary calibration routine.

My advice is to stick to one manufacturer for everything, if you can.
Old 06-25-2012
BJV

bvander66 is on a distinguished road

I go a different route, not crazy about networking all the instruments. We went predominately stand alone. For basic instruments (depth/wind/log) we went outside the norm and bought NASA (no relation to space agency) which is a UK company which produces solid basic units which are substantially cheaper than Raymarine or Garmin.

For autopilot when my old Robertson died went with Simrad. A bit pricey, but install was slick and its run great. Also has ability to expand if I want too down the road.

My experiance (admitted a bit dated) with Garmin and Raymarine is that every three years they come out with new line and very quickly drop support for previous lines. Their concept if you have a breakdown is buy a new system, great for their pockets, not so great for the boat owner.
Old 06-25-2012

Tim R. is on a distinguished road

I recently replaced many of my instruments and AP. Installing the NMEA 200 bus is really easy and once installed it is very easy to connect your devices.

All of my interconnected devices are Garmin except for my AIS.

The only NMEA 0183 devices I have are my chartplotter, AIS and VHF. The charplotter connection to the AP(accepts 2000 and 0183) was easy and works great. My AIS takes up the other NMEA 0183 port on my CP. The VHF has it's own dedicated GPS antenna for DSC.

I might be a little leary of mixing Garmin and Raymarine. Raymarine's proprietary Seatalk and Seatalk NG do not even work well together.

BTW, the Garmin AP really works well.

-----------------------------------------------------

Last edited by Tim R.; 06-25-2012 at 10:02 AM.
Old 06-30-2012

I decided to try to fix this set as the only issue was the displays. Nothing could be seen except on the repeater. Fortunately once the original ribbon connectors were replaced the displays worked just like new.
Old 06-30-2012

wm1999 is on a distinguished road

We just installed the new B&G Triton instruments. They are awesome and can also be autopilot control heads. They have a really big and bright display. We've had them for about 2 months now and they've been flawless.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.