Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2012

muskoka.sailor is on a distinguished road
stripping deck paint--painful!

hi all,
I've been working on my DS20 this season, and I'm at the point of prepping for deck paint. I have all hardware off and have a clean surface to work with. I've been using 80 grit on an orbital sander, planning to get to hard to reach areas by hand when I've finished flatter surfaces. I'm finding this to be quite a chore, and I can imagine it's going to get worse once I have to switch over to manual method. The current deck paint, including non-skid areas is a water based acrylic from who-knows-what-store, and that seems to come off with a generous rubbing with acetone. Should I just strip the deck with acetone and then apply the new paint? Or should I carry on with my maddening sanding? Somebody help!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-24-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Re: stripping deck paint--painful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by muskoka.sailor View Post
hi all,
I've been working on my DS20 this season, and I'm at the point of prepping for deck paint. I have all hardware off and have a clean surface to work with. I've been using 80 grit on an orbital sander, planning to get to hard to reach areas by hand when I've finished flatter surfaces. I'm finding this to be quite a chore, and I can imagine it's going to get worse once I have to switch over to manual method. The current deck paint, including non-skid areas is a water based acrylic from who-knows-what-store, and that seems to come off with a generous rubbing with acetone. Should I just strip the deck with acetone and then apply the new paint? Or should I carry on with my maddening sanding? Somebody help!

Why not use proper stripper that's safe for fiberglass?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 06-24-2012

Isn't acetone ok for use on fiberglass? Casey recommends it for degreasing and whatnot before painting.
Old 06-24-2012

Should I be using something like interlux 202?
Old 06-24-2012

asdf38 is on a distinguished road

Sorry, can't help. Just wanted to comment that I read these deck re-painting threads with trepidation as it's a task I may eventually face on my painted deck. I wish I better understood what circumstances cause so many owners to paint their decks and why they think it's a good thing to do. In my mind you should only paint a deck (for the fist time) if you're rich and you plan to have it done professionally and then re-done every 5 years and you have no problem with the exorbitant cost. Otherwise if you want your boat to look nice, even if it has a mediocre gelcoat you're better off leaving it as-is instead of guaranteeing that you'll have chipping dirty paint in 5 years.
Old 06-24-2012

Asdf38,
I certainly agree with you. The only problem is the guys I bought the boat from used water based acrylic to paint the deck and cockpit, and it looks terrible! I'm doing myself and whoever the future owner of this boat is a favor by sanding and repainting. It's just a real drag, even though I only have 20 feet of boat to take care of.
Old 06-24-2012
Senior Moment Member

Quote:
Isn't acetone ok for use on fiberglass? Casey recommends it for degreasing and whatnot before painting.

Acetone acts as a thinner for polyester resin. A wipe down as a pre-cleaner is different than using it as a paint stripper on glass - might be a bit too aggressive.

It is also VERY volatile - it evaporates before you can do much with it and it's toxic.

I'd rather use a stripper in your situation. If you have water based paint, you can use a water based stripper that you can simply hose off.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 06-26-2012

Thanks Jon! Would a stripper from the local hardware store work ok? Would you know of any that would be of help? I'm pretty new at all this, so this might seem elementary....
Old 06-26-2012
Senior Moment Member

Quote:
Thanks Jon! Would a stripper from the local hardware store work ok? Would you know of any that would be of help? I'm pretty new at all this, so this might seem elementary....
Just make sure it is "safe for use on fiberglass". I'd avoid buying it from "Marine" sources and look at paint/chemical suppliers. If the staff can't help, check the manufacturers websites for the info. Fiberglass suppliers might have it or know of good ones. Corvette shops as well.

Remember to round the corners of all your scrapers as well!

Recent issues of the British mag "Practical Boat Owner" have had articles on this very thing - they are restoring a a 20-ish footer that looks like yours sounds.

Old 06-26-2012

mikehoyt is on a distinguished road

We refinished the deck on our previous boat. We also had no idea what paint was used but I suspect was also acrylic, enamel or similar. It also like yours looked terrible and was failing - and the paint job was less than five years old.

I sanded using ROS as you are with a contour sander for hard to get areas. I did not remove all of the old paint but likely most of it with the sanding. As we were using a two part system a proper two part primer is mandatory as the new paint will destroy the old paint under it if not primed. In your mind know that no matter how hard you try there will be some residue or more of the old paint so this is imprortant. Wiping down with Interlux 202 solvent wash is also a very good idea.

The paint used for refinish was Interlux Interthane Plus (now called Perfection). I did all the prep work and had a pro spray the paint. The end result looked fabulous and held up very well for the remaining years we had the boat

Hope this helps. Refinishing the deck is a very big job.

Mike