Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-25-2012
Grasshopper

JiffyLube is on a distinguished road
InsuMat

I'm going to be finishing our engine room insulation that I started with 1" InsuMat, and I'd like to know how others that have used this material did it. The first part of the project I did was the floor boards to get a feel for the material, and I used contact cement and the round insulation hangers. The one problem I was having at the time was with the contact cement, while it worked good on the wood of the floor boards, it didn't work well on the foam back of the InsuMat. The open cell of the foam on the back of the InsuMat just drank in the contact cement, and it didn't seem to make the foam nearly as tacky as the contact cement on the wood floor boards did. I think the insulation hangers are doing the bulk of the work in holding the InsuMat in place, but I'd like the InsuMat held in place better.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-25-2012

saillife is on a distinguished road
Re: InsuMat

When I hung insulation in my engine room I punched holes into the foam with an ice pick, inserted a plastic tube and used stainless screws and fender washers to secure it. The 3/4 inch plastic tubes (just big enough to let the screw to turn freely) keep the screw from catching the foam and twisting it up and also keep the foam from being crushed. I didn't put any on the floor (fiberglass) though.
Old 06-26-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Open call foam will drink things in, but you should be able to get contact cement to nicely saturate or coat it. If all else fails, buy a spray can of 3M professional contact cement. 3M makes several of them, look for a "headliner cement" which is a permanent and heat-resistant version, or other product that specifically says HEAT RESISTANT and PERMANENT because some are not as robust as others.

And if you can breath while spraying it--find a stronger product. The good stuff is still nasty on the lungs.
Old 06-30-2012
Grasshopper

JiffyLube is on a distinguished road

Once I got to the point I could actually fit the pieces of InsulMat in place, I found they fit so good all I needed were the Insul hangers...so I never used any cement. The really hard and time consuming part of the work is removing 'everything' attached to the walls of the engine compartment, removing all the old insulation, and reattaching everything again. Cutting the InsulMat and hanging it was the easier part, and I estimate all materials involved cost me under $250.00. I've got 3 days in the work so far, and I figure one more day will complete the whole engine compartment...but hopefully I'll never have to do it again. It's sure looking nice!