1993 2-stroke Yamaha - gear oil through weep holes? - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-25-2012

ccolton is on a distinguished road
Re: 1993 2-stroke Yamaha - gear oil through weep holes?

I will definitely post pics and reply with results...but it may take a week or so. I was just at the boat and removed the tubes from the heat exchanger. After cleaning the entire unit, I need to install a new exhaust system from the exhaust flange back. And then maybe a little sailing!

I will be back with information shortly.

Chris
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-27-2012

I have pitcures and videos - what I do not have is know-how! Please forgive me. I will post by tomorrow. Apparently, there is some issue with Iphones/google sites...and me!

So, yesterday, I removed the lower unit and found several seals that were in need of replacement - these parts have all been ordered. The gear lube was coming from two holes just ahead of the top fill screw - there is a plastic fitting inside that seems to want to cover these holes - I have a new one coming.

Pictures will do a better job of describing this - I promise to work on it!.

Chris
Old 06-30-2012

I was not able to upload the videos - I think they are too big. So, here is a link to the site I am creating to track my boat restoration project and to share the changes I make with any interested parties.

There are videos and pics under the engine room section related to this thread.

Thanks,

Chris

https://sites.google.com/site/mabelscassetete/home
Old 07-05-2012

Update: After receiving all of the ordered parts, my son and i began to remove all of the old parts...and realized that I had missed one! So, since I need to place another order, I think I will remove and clean the carburator and see what needs to be ordered there. I will be back.

Thanks again.

Chris
Old 07-05-2012
Back to just the Jon boat

therapy23 is on a distinguished road

Nice you can still get parts.

If mine had not been stolen it would have been nice for me too.
Old 07-06-2012

Dear Therapy23,

I feel for you. In 2003, after having rebuilt a differen 9.9, it, along with the new dinghy, was stolen! I also had a dinghy with a 6 hp stolen in St. Marten.

Maybe I should learn from this? Oars?

Chris
Old 07-23-2012

Dear Group,
First, thank you for all your support and help!
On Friday, I received the remaining seals and gaskets necessary to rebuild the lower drive uint. Although I was somewhat trepedatious when I set the engine on a saw horse and lowered it into a garbage can of water, I was pretty confident that the gear lube leak was fixed. When I finally took the entire unit apart - yes, every piece and seal - several seals had been dessicated over time and others were actually ripped! The worst offenders, no surprise here, were related to sealing water from oil.

So, When running the engine, no problems with the leaking gear lube! I was very happy. But...

The engine stalled easily and ran rough. So, I removed the carburator and took it apart. Clean as a whistle! Not what I had hoped for. But, I also took off the gas filter and found water mixed with gas plus a few bugs. Cleaned and replaced everything and then set the gap on the spark plugs - again to be sure.

The engine is now running like a charm!

Thanks again.

Chris
Old 07-23-2012

dabnis is on a distinguished road

Good to hear, persistence pays off. If monofiliment fishing line gets caught in the prop it can wind up inside the prop and work its way around the shaft and into the seal, eventually destroying it. If the seals on the verticle part of the drive shaft failed that is a mystery to me. Of the eight outboards I have had over the last 65 or so years, I have never had those seals fail? Thanks for the feedback.

Paul T
Old 07-23-2012

Hi Paul,

It sounds like you are an expert - I am definitely not! My method was to keep taking things apart until I had replaced everything and hoped that during the way I found something wrong!

Additional information that may help. This engine came with my boat. I know for sure that it had not been run for 2 plus years and like had not been run for 3 plus years. Sitting in the sun and having no maintenance at all probably contributed to the dryness. I agree, the ripped seal is a bit of a mystery. BTW, this was not an oil seal, which are very strong, but a rubber bboot type seal.

Chris
Old 07-23-2012

dabnis is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccolton View Post
Hi Paul,

It sounds like you are an expert - I am definitely not! My method was to keep taking things apart until I had replaced everything and hoped that during the way I found something wrong!

Additional information that may help. This engine came with my boat. I know for sure that it had not been run for 2 plus years and like had not been run for 3 plus years. Sitting in the sun and having no maintenance at all probably contributed to the dryness. I agree, the ripped seal is a bit of a mystery. BTW, this was not an oil seal, which are very strong, but a rubber bboot type seal.

Chris
Not even close to being an expert on anything, just "been there and done that"
over the years, but thank you anyway. A "boot type of seal?" Of all the many Japanese products I have had they all had the great feature of not leaking oil, in addition to running perfectly. I would suspect that possibly some time back someone had it appart for some reason and damaged the boot when re-assembling it? Unless the boot had direct sunlight on it, or really excessive heat on it i doubt it would just dry out and crack?, but who knows?

Paul T