Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-25-2012

captainrizzo is on a distinguished road
Sheared off nylon screw

Part of my Furlex 100 maintenance regime requires that I remove a nylon screw on the lower bearing assembly, put grease in, and replace the screw. I do this twice per year. Yesterday, when I was putting the screw back in place, the head sheared off, and the screw is stuck, slightly recessed in the fitting. The good news is that the screw is stuck, so the opening is sealed. The bad news is that the screw is stuck!

The screw is small M6X10 and I don’t want to risk damaging the threads by using a drill and EZ Out tool. I am thinking that I can heat a jewelers screwdriver and melt a small slot, let it cool, and then back it out. Has anyone has ever tried this? If so, how much heat, etc.?

I don’t want to back the screw out until I have a replacement screw which should be in by Saturday. I will update how the project went upon completion, but meanwhile, I would like to get some feedback on my approach! Thanks in advance!

"If you want to build a ship, don't herd people together to collect wood. Just teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea"
Antoine de Saint

My Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-25-2012

Geoff54 is on a distinguished road
Re: Sheared off nylon screw

What you propose might work but the problem I see is that ,if it doesn’t, you will have to drill it and you now have a messed up area to try and center a very small drill bit. I would center punch/drill/extract - if you use a left hand drill bit and drill very slowly, you may not need the extractor, especially in something soft. I would have an M6 metal bolt and tap ready to check and clean up the threads if needed (a rough thread will chew up your nylon screw) and also a thread insert (helecoil/recoil/threadsert), just incase it gets messed up completely. If you need to tap it, after it has started, put grease on the tap to hold the swarf and wipe and replace it frequently. I’m guessing you already know all of this anyway but are looking for a better way – I'd just be concerned that it could create a worse problem. Good Luck.
Old 06-25-2012

CapnBilll is on a distinguished road

I remove sheared nylon screws all the time. Get a small flat head, (jewelers) slightly smaller than the screw diameter. Gently tap into the screw body. then gently rotate it out.

I would not use mineral grease on a nylon screw, as it will soften, and weaken the screw over time, as you just found out. Use a teflon, or other lubricant that doesn't contain solvents. What is the material the nylon screw is imbedded in? If it is metal or another hard substance, turning the drill bit by hand will remove the plastic with minimal damage to the threads.
Old 06-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnBilll View Post
I remove sheared nylon screws all the time. Get a small flat head, (jewelers) slightly smaller than the screw diameter. Gently tap into the screw body. then gently rotate it out.

I would not use mineral grease on a nylon screw, as it will soften, and weaken the screw over time, as you just found out. Use a teflon, or other lubricant that doesn't contain solvents. What is the material the nylon screw is imbedded in? If it is metal or another hard substance, turning the drill bit by hand will remove the plastic with minimal damage to the threads.
Bill, thanks for your idea about gently tapping the jewelers screwdriver and turning a bit by hand. I only use Superlube synthetic grease with teflon for the fuller. I think the housing is metal, not sure what type though.

"If you want to build a ship, don't herd people together to collect wood. Just teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea"
Antoine de Saint

My Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-25-2012
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road

Used to deal with this all the time.

Take a screwdriver slightly smaller than screw diameter. Heat it up to more than boiling but less than red. Push it into the nylon. It will make a slot. Wait for a few seconds and unscrew it.

This almost always worked for me.
Old 06-25-2012
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Red face Re: Sheared off nylon screw

EZ Out. Replace with metal bolt and TefGel.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Old 06-25-2012
Wish I never found SN!

SimonV will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQA View Post
Used to deal with this all the time.

Take a screwdriver slightly smaller than screw diameter. Heat it up to more than boiling but less than red. Push it into the nylon. It will make a slot. Wait for a few seconds and unscrew it.

This almost always worked for me.
I second this but I heat the flat blade screw driver to a point that it melts the screw, push it in the pull it out making the slot, let cool then unscrew.
EDIT: OH I think I just said what TOA said but different.

I love my boat
S/V GOODONYA
Brisbane
present location Heading to the Whitesundays

DELIVERY SKIPPER
Drinking Rum before 10am makes you a Pirate NOT an alcohlic
Old 06-25-2012

Success!

I heated up a jewelers screwdriver with a Bic lighter, gave it a couple of taps with a small hammer and voilà! I put a M6X10 metalic screw in and will replace with a nylon screw when my order arrives! Thanks all for your suggestions!

Antoine de Saint

My Blog:

Last edited by captainrizzo; 06-25-2012 at 09:13 PM.
Old 06-26-2012
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

Congrats.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Old 06-26-2012

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

rizzo-
fyi, nylon is attacked by petroleum-based lubricants. That and UV over the years might be why it broke. With the metal replacement, loctite or antiseize becomes mandatory, toss a coin for which you prefer but if that bolt is essential, you might want to use loctite and make sure you've got a spare.