Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2012
Total Sailing Novice

Brigala is on a distinguished road
Re: Refurbish or scrap?

My husband's been going over the paperwork. Whoever owned the boat before the guy who died bought it had a peel & reseal done at a cost of $6500. Husband doesn't think the boat has seen the water since that was done. No wonder it looks so nice outside.

We would be doing the work ourselves, not hiring it done. And we don't consider this an "investment" where we'd get our money back out of it. It's a hobby to throw money at, not the other way around.

We'll definitely take a closer look before we put any time or money into it, but so far he couldn't find any soft spots (not even at the mast step where it has been leaking). The inside isn't even half as bad as the picture c_witch posted. Probably because there's not as much woodwork. It's dirty and wet, but I didn't see any sign of anything rotting out except corrosion in the electrical box. The electric components are actually the only thing I could see on a brief inspection that probably need replacing; everything else just needs to be scrubbed and maybe bleached. There's a little woodwork that needs refinishing, but not a lot.
~*~ Complete and total newbie looking for a first boat ~*~ Advice Welcome ~*~ Miniature Sheep Farmer ~*~ Child Passenger Safety Technician ~*~ Will trade my knowledge of shepherding or car seats for your knowledge of sailing! Just ask!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~*~
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-26-2012

GaryHLucas is on a distinguished road

If you decide to scrap it please keep track of what you get for all the bits and pieces. It will be really interesting to find out what a boat like that is worth as parts.

Last year I went to look at a 40 foot aluminum sailboat that had clearly been a real gem in its day. It was still floating but in bad shape. A scrap yard literally across the street bought for like 5K. I would love to know what it actually was worth as scrap.

There is a scrap yard two doors down from our shop. We started hearing these loud booms coming from the scrap yard. It turns out that because scrap prices are so high they bought a huge loader with a shear on the boom. They actually cut the cars up in tiny pieces now, and the noise we heard was cutting tires off the rims with the air still in them!

Gary H. Lucas
Old 06-26-2012

GaryHLucas is on a distinguished road

Just saw your post about the bottom peel and reseal. I've been taken the bad barrier coat job and gelcoat off with a belt sander, kicking myself for doing it myself. However $6500 is what I paid for the boat! So my back and arms feel a little better now.

Thanks!

Gary H. Lucas
Old 06-26-2012
Total Sailing Novice

I'll be sure to track it if we go that route.

And I'm glad I could help make your hard work feel worthwhile.
~*~ Complete and total newbie looking for a first boat ~*~ Advice Welcome ~*~ Miniature Sheep Farmer ~*~ Child Passenger Safety Technician ~*~ Will trade my knowledge of shepherding or car seats for your knowledge of sailing! Just ask!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~*~
Old 06-26-2012
Banned

WDS123 is on a distinguished road

Scrap

Because I can guarantee at least a couple of your timber stringers now have rot via the standing water in the limber holes. I can also guarantee that the bulkheads have some rot somewhere.

You need to really really crawl around a boat and poke a rod in all sorts of hard to get places.

For the same amount of time and energy you are going to put into this Newport 27, there is likely a far nicer N27 just a few hours away sitting dry in a boatyard begging to be taken away.

Sell the keel, collect the hardware - start up the old' chain saw

Last edited by WDS123; 06-26-2012 at 11:23 PM.
Old 06-27-2012
Total Sailing Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDS123 View Post
Scrap

Because I can guarantee at least a couple of your timber stringers now have rot via the standing water in the limber holes. I can also guarantee that the bulkheads have some rot somewhere.

You need to really really crawl around a boat and poke a rod in all sorts of hard to get places.
You could very well be right, and that's the first thing we'll do before spending any money or significant time on it.

Quote:
For the same amount of time and energy you are going to put into this Newport 27, there is likely a far nicer N27 just a few hours away sitting dry in a boatyard begging to be taken away.

Sell the keel, collect the hardware - start up the old' chain saw
My biggest concern is spending a bit of money on another boat that "looks" nicer only to find out it has bigger problems while being cosmetically prettier. But if there's rot in the boat that isn't in an easy-to-repair place, that's still an option. We'll see what happens when we can really crawl around in the boat - but first we have to get all the water drained out of it.
~*~
Old 06-28-2012

hriehl1 is on a distinguished road

There are probably 2 areas to consider. First is financial and others have addressed those considerations. And if you do part it out on Craigslist or eBay, you'll be surprised how much of the $1600 you recoup... that trailer could end up free or nearly so.

The second question is which would you rather do for the next 2 years; fix-up a boat or sail a boat? I'm not being a wiseguy, some take great pleasure from refurbing a boat as though the work is a hobby unto itself. An honest answer to that question may lead you to a good decision.
Old 06-28-2012
Total Sailing Novice

That's a very important question. We ARE looking for a project. We WANT to refurbish a boat. The question is "how much?"

My husband is retiring at the end of the summer and needs something to keep him busy. I'd rather not have two years of refurbishing to do; ideally I'd like to have the boat ready for next summer. We have no plans to have a boat on the water this summer, however. For now, we have some friends who have invited us to go sailing with them, and frankly we'll be lucky if we have enough time to do that since our summer is pretty booked this year.
~*~
Old 06-28-2012

tommays will become famous soon enough

Having spent 20 months fixing and i am very happy with the result

IMHP you do not have enough boat time to know if it is the right boat for you

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 06-28-2012
Total Sailing Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommays View Post
IMHP you do not have enough boat time to know if it is the right boat for you
I'm sure you're right. My husband has quite a lot more experience than I do, though still not nearly as much as all of you I'm sure. At least when it comes to sailboats. He has never owned a sailboat, but he used to co-own and manage a marina with lots of house boats, ski boats, and that sort of thing and before that he crewed on a large sailboat in Hawaii. My sailing experience is absolutely zero and my boating experience is only a tiny bit more than that.

He's going to be the one fixing up the boat, though; I'll help, but he's going to be in charge. So I leave the final decision up to him. He has to love the project or it won't get done (or, worse, it will get done but he won't enjoy it).
~*~