Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2012
Total Sailing Novice

Brigala is on a distinguished road
Re: Refurbish or scrap?

Just an update... we spent the day scrubbing out the inside of the boat. It came clean relatively easily considering how much grime was in there. Looking rather nice! And it gave us a chance to really get in there and look at every little detail.

We were only able to identify one (and only one) structural problem which needs to be addressed. I would love some advice for where to turn for repair information on this; it's major enough that we want to make sure we get it right. The boat has a tabernacle system for the mast. That part is fine. But inside the cabin the the support post that stands directly under the mast was fitted with an aluminum part which has completely corroded away. That, in turn, caused the top 1/2 inch or so of the support post to partially rot out. The post is made up of more than one piece of teak and I'm not quite sure what's under it. Before we pull the whole post out of there we'd like to have some idea of what the structure is like. Where can we find out about how these support posts are made, whether we need to replace the whole thing or whether we can just cut off the top inch or so and put in some kind of spacer (and if so, how), etc.. I would like to pull the whole post out if we can in order to make sure we don't have a similar problem below the floor where we can't see it, though there are no signs of soft spots or anything.

We also have some concerns about the condition of the keel bolts, but I think we probably know how to address those.
~*~ Complete and total newbie looking for a first boat ~*~ Advice Welcome ~*~ Miniature Sheep Farmer ~*~ Child Passenger Safety Technician ~*~ Will trade my knowledge of shepherding or car seats for your knowledge of sailing! Just ask!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~*~
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-08-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

If there was enough moisture inside to eat away the top of the compression post and the fitting there, then the odds are the bottom has also been damaged. You need to excavate down and find out.

Typically you would slack the rigging off, then use a screw jack or lolly column to raise the cabin top and take the load while you remove the compression post, allowing the mast to stay in place. Or, lower the mast and then remove the post.

A new post is a "simple" matter of choosing a suitably strong piece of pipe or lumber and then fabricating new ends plates as needed. sometimes people have those welded up from aluminum alloy, sometimes UDHPE, again it is a matter of what is convenient for you, and strong. Extra points if it also looks good.
Old 07-08-2012
Total Sailing Novice

Yes, the husband is thinking about getting a stainless steel pipe for the job. He has a welder and can do stainless steel or aluminum welding. I don't know what exactly the structural support is made of but I think only the facing is teak; if we can get the facing off without ruining it we should be able to re-face it with the same teak and have it look nice.

The mast is not up right now anyway so that simplifies things a little.
~*~ Complete and total newbie looking for a first boat ~*~ Advice Welcome ~*~ Miniature Sheep Farmer ~*~ Child Passenger Safety Technician ~*~ Will trade my knowledge of shepherding or car seats for your knowledge of sailing! Just ask!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~*~
Old 07-08-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Veneering is easy these days, the hardest part is finding the veneer which isn't hard if you mail-order it.

Even a plain 2x4 from the hardware store can support over a ton in compression, and a redwood 4x4 or fence post obvisouly more than double that. I'm not sure how you would figure the compression loading on a compression post but there must be something on the web about that. Personally I'd go for a metal post to save the weight (yes, even on a day sailer!) and then of course, you can always still veneer the post if you prefer the aesthetics of teak.
Old 07-08-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

Late to the party.

The compression post should be easy enough to fix one way or another.

Please note that Newport made several variations of 27' sailboat. Here are the specs for the oldest one: NEWPORT 27-1 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
Use this link to try and figure out which model N27 you have. It is good to know what year your boat was made. Many of them came with an Atomic 4 gasoline engine (optionally) installed.

For now you can use an outboard motor but if you decide you want to get out into deeper coastal waters an inboard engine is a much better choice. I'm not trying to make more work for you. I just think that you should know this.

What I think a sail ready N27 is worth:
with an outboard motor: $3500
with an inboard Atomic 4 motor: $5000
with an inboard diesel engine: $7500.

It is good to know what year your boat was manufactured as that gives you a good idea of how long it has been since the chain plates have been attended to(ignored). Chain plates on older boats are often a project that is needed.

Hope you don't have to scrap her.
Good luck.

Everybody has one:

Old 07-08-2012
Total Sailing Novice

Thanks for the input! The boat is a 1970, so yeah it's pretty old.

We have been going back and forth on whether to do an inboard engine or not. If we do, it will absolutely be a diesel. The entire inboard and all its related hardware (except the gas tank, which we're planning to go ahead and use for the outboard) have been removed. We found an entire diesel replacement for the Atomic 4 for sale off another Newport that's being parted out, and it's pretty tempting. I don't know that we'll ever really go offshore, though, so it may be overkill for us. Most likely we will sail up and down the Columbia River, and may trailer up to Puget Sound or down to San Francisco once in a while. While I dream of sailing to Hawaii someday, it probably won't be on this boat.

Unrelated to the drive train... maybe someone here can help solve this puzzle: Under the cockpit there is a freshwater tank attached to the galley sink. We absolutely cannot find the input for filling up the tank. There appears to only be one hose, and that goes to the faucet. There's a plug on the top of the tank and we can fit a hose to it and run it somewhere, but the tank is NOT easily accessible and it's hard to believe it was originally meant to be filled through that plug. Are we missing something obvious here?
~*~
Old 07-08-2012
Owl

-OvO- is on a distinguished road

a deck fitting?
Old 07-08-2012
Total Sailing Novice

We searched for one, but couldn't find any. We'll create one if we need to, of course.
~*~
Old 07-09-2012

tommays will become famous soon enough

My water tank fills from inside in the bow and i have gotten use to it

I think piecing together a inboard motor is going to push the budget pretty bad out of shape by the time you do everything

I had a compleat motor that only need serious TLC and used up a good piece of the budget

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 07-09-2012

mrslubrdink is on a distinguished road

We have a 1970 Newport 27 and the water tank is filled from a deck fitting on the side rail of the port side of the cockpit.