Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-10-2012

Tanley is on a distinguished road
Re: E - Z Jacks

This is on the list, albeit down a bit. Can you comment on any noise made when it's retracted? Is there halyard slap when the sail is flaked and the cover on? Did you put the block on the mast or attach it out on your spreader a bit?

Thanks!

Joe

Last edited by Tanley; 07-20-2012 at 11:11 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-10-2012

puddinlegs is on a distinguished road

Lazy jacks... we just made up a set with some small diameter amsteel, 4 antal anti-friction rings, 4 eye rings, and two ronstan composite jam cleats. I think the whole thing cost maybe $60 total, my time to do some splicing, and our foredeck guy one quick trip up the mast to luggage tag things to our check stay terminals. IMHO, making your own is a great DIY project. Splicing amsteel is very easy and a great intro to the sport in general if you have any interest in learning to do your own. For a 25' boat, it will be even cheaper.

Joe, you can use bungie cords to pull things toward the shrouds and away from the mast when they're not deployed.
Old 07-10-2012

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road

Here is my post on the subject:
Sail Delmarva: Adjustable Lazy Jacks--Done the Lazy Way

You could go with fixed lazyjacks. Folks gripe about them, but for coastal sailors they don't actually cause much chafe or much difficulty hoisting. Very nice lowering. The only time I retract them is hoisting single-handed in a breeze, or sometimes if I know I will be sailing many hours.

They're an easy DIY job, with a kit, or without.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-10-2012
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanley View Post
Can you comment on any noise made when it's retracted? Is there halyard slap when the sail is flaked and the cover on? Did you put the block on the mast or attach it out on your spreader a bit?
Yep,

The Lazy-Jack cheek blocks were already in place on my boat. Apparently, some PO had lazy jacks, and I simply had to re-invent them.

The cheek blocks were mounted to the mast about 8' over the single spreader on my O'day 35. There was also a fairlead at the spreader to guide the Lazy-Jack halyard past the spreader without chafing. I factored this in by simply increasing the length of the line that I bought to build the system. If anyone is curious, I bought 90' of 5/16" Sta-set for each side, and had about 2' more than I needed.

Were I to start from scratch, I would have simply mounted the cheek blocks below the spreader, and bought 10' less line (80') per side.

Was there halyard slap? Yes - for a day. I bought three bungie cords at the local CVS ($4.99 for 3) and clip one end to the 'Jack halyard, and the other to the forward shroud (one on port, the other on starboard, and the third brought around the mast to pull port and starboard forward). Problem solved.

Last edited by eherlihy; 07-11-2012 at 03:53 AM. Reason: describe the 3 bungies