Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-27-2012

H and E is on a distinguished road
E - Z Jacks

I have been thinking of ordering a set of the E Z Jacks for my Catalina 25. I sail solo quite often and think they would be nice to have. I do remove the boom and unstep the mast to move to various lakes a couple of times a year. I have sent questions to them through their WEB site but get no response. I would like to know if any of you have them and are happy with them. I will want the system that runs lines to the cockpit to control. Any input will be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-27-2012
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Re: E - Z Jacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by H and E View Post
I have been thinking of ordering a set of the E Z Jacks for my Catalina 25. I sail solo quite often and think they would be nice to have. I do remove the boom and unstep the mast to move to various lakes a couple of times a year. I have sent questions to them through their WEB site but get no response. I would like to know if any of you have them and are happy with them. I will want the system that runs lines to the cockpit to control. Any input will be appreciated.
We had them on our prior boat, a Cal 2-29, and were very happy with the system. They could be pulled forward away from the sail when not needed and easily deployed when required. I went with a Dutchman system with our current boat and, unfortunately, wish I had stayed with EZJacks. Less costly, by a lot, as or more effective, and no chafe on the leach of the sail from a riser cable.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 06-27-2012
Senior Cruiser

sea_hunter is on a distinguished road
Good addition. There's online (even herein) for self made plans.
Old 06-27-2012

UncleJim is on a distinguished road

Ordered a set for the Mac 26x a couple of years back, took forever to get them. Bought them at the Annapolis Boat Show and wanted them for a Christmas trip. we were assured that we would have then in time. As best as I recall we received them around end of Feb. I wasn't sure whether or not the company was still in business or not. No replies to emails and no excuses as to why the delays.

Best advice would be to read the threads here and make you own or get a Dutchman system

on edit: Heres the link to the thread EZ-Jax

Last edited by UncleJim; 06-27-2012 at 10:27 PM. Reason: add link
Old 06-28-2012
BJV

bvander66 is on a distinguished road

We got a set about 7 years ago, still working great. No comment on present state of company, but the system concept is definately a good one.
Old 06-28-2012
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

I also had placed an order with EZ-Jax for a system. After two months of emails and phone calls between me and Mark Bailey, the company owner (877.585.9162), I finally told him to forget it, and cancel the order. To Mark's credit, he never charged my Credit Card.

I am sold on the system, but the customer service could be better. Perhaps it has improved?

If you decide to order, place a FIRM delivery deadline.
Old 06-28-2012

jjablonowski is on a distinguished road

We looked into E-Z Jacks and ended up making our own lazy jacks from the many illustrations available online.

The good part about home made is that you can fuss with the lengths of each component line to get the system set up just right for your rig. The bad part about home made is that you have to fuss with the system.

We started out with two lines---one for the luff and the other for the leach---and ended up with a single line. Also we started out running the lazy-jack-hoisting lines to the cockpit, but soon abandoned that idea as too complicated.

We used stainless steel rings instead of blocks to connect the V-shaped portions to the lazy-jack halyards; not only are rings less expensive but they are easily hooked onto horn cleats on the mast near the gooseneck so the whole system is neatly tucked away when not in use. Also, when tucked away, no modification to the mainsail cover is needed.

The lazy jacks aren't deployed for each outing; only when singlehanding or shorthanding, and then only shortly before dropping the main (keeps sail abrasion to a minimum).
Old 06-28-2012

dprudden is on a distinguished road

Lazy Jacks are very easy and inexpensive. I use eye straps on the boom with clips on the lines to make it easy to get the jacks out of the way. I also used shock cord for more flexibility.
Old 06-28-2012

nickmerc is on a distinguished road

I made a system similar to Joe and love them. I have been using them for 3 seasons. I made mine for $100 in material and a day of labor to fabricate and install. I consider them indespensible when single handing or when I have a full boat. I ended up make tapered eye splices for the connections to the stainless rings. They look great. For the ends of the lines on the boom, I installed pad eyes to the boom and run the lines through them and adjust the line lengths with figure eight knots. They are also stowable so I do not have them deployed when raising the sail and I do not need to modify my sail cover.
Old 07-10-2012
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

FWIW, I finally finished installing my lazy jacks according to this diagram;

It required 6 1" stainless steel rings, and 8 double braid splices. I used red line on the port side, and blue line on starboard to remind me of the rules of the road. This took me about 5 hours to finally set up correctly.

I was able to PERFECTLY flake my sail for the first time with this system, and it took about 3 min to flake. In short, I love it!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.