Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-27-2012

Amateur_Expert is on a distinguished road
Center & Align new Mast Bracket?!?? (with pics)

Hello,

I had posted a thread awhile back about cutting a mast since I was replacing the bracket (which was too big, cumbersome and a little bent up).

Quick Background:
I am replacing the mast step/bracket/cradle with a 'dwyer tabernacle'. I think it will work out nice. I will be able to use the factory holes (the other holes where drilled out crooked for the old bracket - this mast is a replacement and is not original to the step).

I grinded out most of the fiberglass where the step used to mount, it was cracked, had been drilled out a couple of times and discolored from water damage (this is a '74 laguna windrose)... thus I lost the original holes.

I am slowly rebuilding the glass from the inside upside=down one thin layer at a time, it's getting beefy, got about 20 layers up so far. Also plan to add 2 addition crossmembers and glass it all together. I will then glass a larger portion of the deck where the step mounts. I have not strated grinding top-side yet. The original holes are still there but there's a more than the originals (someone had this bracket off before and changed the holes a little).

My question is:
How do I center and align this new bracket??! Someone suggested I use a plumb bob and try to go off the center of the keel (which is not right under the mast). I want to get the bracket centered and also aligned so it's not cocked a little to one side of the other. Does the rudder come into play in the equasion? Also... is it ok to move the bracket forward slightly if the rigging allows (I want to center it over the crossmembers and wood inside the glass in the deck)?

Please help. This is my first sailboat project. I am thinking that you would want this straight and centered.

Thanks!

Shawn T
Wichita KS
Attached Thumbnails
Center & Align new Mast Bracket?!?? (with pics)-mast-mount-6-.jpg   Center & Align new Mast Bracket?!?? (with pics)-mast-mount-5-.jpg   Center & Align new Mast Bracket?!?? (with pics)-mast-both-sides-holes.jpg   Center & Align new Mast Bracket?!?? (with pics)-mast-mount-4-.jpg   Center & Align new Mast Bracket?!?? (with pics)-mast-mount-2-.jpg  

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-27-2012
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road
Re: Center & Align new Mast Bracket?!?? (with pics)

Me thinks moving the mast location would not be a very good first project. I gather the location of the old holes will not be helpful?
Old 06-27-2012

Amateur_Expert is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the reply.
I just have the rear hole, the forward holes were lost with grinding. I know I can get close but was wondering if there is a way to make it true perfect. Since its a new bracket and new fiberglass I figured best to just re-measure (if possible) and drill new holes.
Old 06-29-2012
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road

I'm sure there is probably some trick way of doing this. My first thought would be to put a very tight rope from the stem fitting to the exact middle of the transom. If the one hole can be use to determine the fore/aft position then the rope with indicate athwartships position.
Old 06-29-2012

tommays will become famous soon enough

Thye dont even do that great of a job when the boats are new so i would thing the old holes you have and perhaps chacking with a tape measure that it is in the middle will be fine

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.