Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Kiwigrip advice needed

I have a question for anyone experienced in using Kiwigrip non-skid.

Is it thick enough to fill in and cover a typical worn non-skid pattern or must you first sand off all or most of the raised pattern in order to get a good looking finish?
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-29-2012

hriehl1 is on a distinguished road
Re: Kiwigrip advice needed

I'll add a question for those experienced with it... is it also suitable for the non-skid seating surface areas in the cockpit?

In my research I've seen the vendor says one's roller technique can create more-or-less stipple... but I'm curious to hear peoples' real-world experience.
Old 06-29-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Sloop, I did all my decks with Kiwi three years ago, right after recoring the decks. Am very satisfied with the way it has held up, even up where it gets the most hard use up near the anchor. It is the consistency of mayonnaise. You can control the amount of texture by the kind of roller you use. They supply a roller that leaves a VERY rough surface. When I go over it again will find something a bit less aggressive. It dries fast, so it is best to have two people- one spreading to a uniform thickness, one texturing. A small pc of the roller is necessary to get in under stuff where the roller will not reach. Taped edges need to be pulled before it sets completely or the tape will lift the edge. I don't know how deep your existing tread is but the Kiwi is much thicker than a regular paint. I CAN see where the old non-skid lines were if I look for them where I went below the radii on the corners of the cabin top so as to eliminate them as slip zones.

I would not use it for seating areas. It's too rough. The only place I used it in the cockpit is under foot. A bit of warning- the stuff is really rough. It's perfect for my taste but would take your skin off readily if you fell on it. With kids around, I'd be wary of making it too rough.
Old 06-29-2012
Senior Moment Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
Sloop, I did all my decks with Kiwi three years ago, right after recoring the decks. Am very satisfied with the way it has held up, even up where it gets the most hard use up near the anchor. It is the consistency of mayonnaise. You can control the amount of texture by the kind of roller you use. They supply a roller that leaves a VERY rough surface. When I go over it again will find something a bit less aggressive. It dries fast, so it is best to have two people- one spreading to a uniform thickness, one texturing. A small pc of the roller is necessary to get in under stuff where the roller will not reach. Taped edges need to be pulled before it sets completely or the tape will lift the edge. I don't know how deep your existing tread is but the Kiwi is much thicker than a regular paint. I CAN see where the old non-skid lines were if I look for them where I went below the radii on the corners of the cabin top so as to eliminate them as slip zones.

I would not use it for seating areas. It's too rough. The only place I used it in the cockpit is under foot. A bit of warning- the stuff is really rough. It's perfect for my taste but would take your skin off readily if you fell on it. With kids around, I'd be wary of making it too rough.
Thanks Smurph - see the highlight - I read that as saying it WON'T completely cover or rather bury the old moulded non-skid pattern.

Is that correct? I'm not so much concerned with the final texture as with whether or not I will need to sand my whole deck completely smooth before applying it.

I have a flush deck 43 footer so it's a BIG deal to me.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 06-29-2012

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road

I think you need 80 grit smoothness. The application of and resultant finish can be affected by thinning the kiwigrip and or using a different "stipple effect" roller. My painter used a different roller in the high wear areas to provide better traction and wear. As a filler I don't think I'd want to rely on the kiwi grip. I've had it on the deck for 7 years now. Glad I took the time for proper surface prep first. Can understand the 43 feet of deck challenge......gonna have some guns after that job!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Old 06-30-2012
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about

You control the texture by controlling the thickness. 1/8" inch will yield a very stippled surface. 1/16" or less will give that small texture for cockpit seats or coaming tops that ya want. It will cover old non-skid nicely. Just use a paint eater or other scotch brite wheel to give the old non-skid some teeth for the Kiwi Grip to latch onto.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-30-2012
Senior Moment Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieCobra View Post
You control the texture by controlling the thickness. 1/8" inch will yield a very stippled surface. 1/16" or less will give that small texture for cockpit seats or coaming tops that ya want. It will cover old non-skid nicely. Just use a paint eater or other scotch brite wheel to give the old non-skid some teeth for the Kiwi Grip to latch onto.
Thanks Charlie - I will have to sand and I figured on a 50 or 60 grit on an R/O - I just didn't want to have to completely sand off all the raised pattern as it would be a huge job.

Last edited by SloopJonB; 06-30-2012 at 03:48 PM.
Old 06-30-2012
72 C&C Corvette

CorvetteGuy is on a distinguished road

used it on the topside of ma Corvette went right over the original molded nonskid and it did cover the pattern, I put it on my cockpit but we use cusions, it can also be sanded down gently for a not so aggresive feel. heres a pic of end result. very happy with the ease and price!!
Attached Thumbnails
Kiwigrip advice needed-corvette-015.jpg   Kiwigrip advice needed-corvette-016.jpg   Kiwigrip advice needed-corvette-013.jpg  
Old 06-30-2012
72 C&C Corvette

CorvetteGuy is on a distinguished road

I also preped the deck with a bronze wire wheel and a cordless drill. scratched it up just fine.
Old 06-30-2012
Senior Moment Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorvetteGuy View Post
used it on the topside of ma Corvette went right over the original molded nonskid and it did cover the pattern, I put it on my cockpit but we use cusions, it can also be sanded down gently for a not so aggresive feel. heres a pic of end result. very happy with the ease and price!!
Looks very nice. Is that grey straight out of the can or did you mix grey & white?

It looks paler than the samples of grey that I saw - they were much more "battleship" toned.