Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2012

ncapener is on a distinguished road
Garmin Sux

Yesterday I purchased a chart to download from Garmin online. Have done that a year ago without problems. This time I was prompted to register the serial number of the device I was planning to use the chart with.
Next I had to d/l a communicator plug in. Ok, done that too.
Tried to install and run the plug in and got error message to close Chrome. Ok, done that and still not working.
Got out my other laptop, different operating system with Chrome and same issues. Walked down the dock to a friend and tried on his computer, same results.
Troubleshooting message is: incompatable application. Great
D/l Firefox browser, install and it opened the plugin no problem, and (two hours later) proceeded to start to d/l chart. All I neede to click on the confirmation that the chart will be linked to the registered chart plotter and can ONLY be used with that device! That means, I cannot use that chart on my back up GPS
Little over a year ago I sold the Garmin3210 (worked fine, very happy with it) and bought a new 4212 plotter. The "old" one used charts on a Garmin specific memory stick and since I am planning to sail offshore I did not want to buy a library of charts that would not work with a newer plotter. New plotters use the SD card memory.
Now it looks like I have to buy another set of charts for my back up GPS....
I am mad as hell!

Neal
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-30-2012

chuck53 is on a distinguished road
Re: Garmin Sux

Have you called Garmin to ask their advice?
I had a car unit go bad while still under warranty, They were great to deal with.
Old 06-30-2012

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough

Garmin and their charts... *sigh*. I have a love/hate relationship with Garmin.

Love: Bought a 498C just after it was discontinued. Got a great price. It has worked terrifically for us. Last fall it stopped finding satellites. This spring it worked once, then had the same problem again. Turned out it needed a firmware update. Garmin sent it do us for free. ($50 refundable deposit on the chip.) Can't beat that with a stick, IMO.

Hate: Been looking for the "perfect" hand-held GPS for years. Backup for the GPS on Abracadabra. GPS on the little powerboat. For use in the car and in the woods. Garmin finally did it: The Montana. Yay! But waitaminute: To make it truly useful I'd have to buy another $200+ of marine and street charts/maps. Another $300+ if I also wanted truly useful terrain maps. So, between the cost of the lowest-end Montana (over $500) and the additional necessary charts and maps, I'd be up to over $700-$800. I don't think so, Tim.

Jim
Old 06-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck53 View Post
Have you called Garmin to ask their advice?
I had a car unit go bad while still under warranty, They were great to deal with.
Too late in the day to call yesterday. No customer service on weekends.
It seems clear that their communicator plug in does not work with Google Chrome.
Also, my issue is with changing the rules of using charts after a year.
Old 06-30-2012

ccriders is on a distinguished road

They think we are all goldplatted. They pay nothing for the chart data and then manipulate it so we have to pay them to use it.
Someone needs to hack their program so NOAA chart data can be entered directly.
Old 06-30-2012
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough

We just got back from a trip to the west coast of Vancouver Island. I have two chartplotters (pilothouse, one at the inside helm and one in the cockpit), both Garmin, and I bought two chart sticks that cover Olympia, WA to Skagway, AK for them a few years ago. One plotter is a little older so the chart numbers are different but cover the same area. I double checked the newer plotter in the cockpit before we left to confirm that we had chart coverage for the entire west side of the island, yep, no problem. We got to Barkley Sound (the beginning of our explorations) and as we rounded Cape Beale the inside plotter no longer had coverage, just the base (useless) map. My stupid mistake for not checking that the coverage was the same when I bought them, but wouldn't you think that two sticks both labeled Olympia to Skagway, for the same plotter, just different years, would have the same coverage? I did. And to add insult to unjury I of course left the puck gps for the laptop and CPN at home so I got to stand in the rain a couple of days until I remembered that I had a Navionics plotter in my Iphone that covered all of BC ($10), so I set that up inside. Other than this (and I take full credit for my dumb mistake) I have had good luck with the Garmin products.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 06-30-2012
Junior member, rest old

msmith10 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccriders View Post
They think we are all goldplatted. They pay nothing for the chart data and then manipulate it so we have to pay them to use it.
Someone needs to hack their program so NOAA chart data can be entered directly.
Been done, easily available. Google GPS Underground. Bluecharts for the entire world are posted. You need to learn some techniques but if you play around the site a while you'll figure it out.
Note: I am not condoning the illegal use of hacked programs which steal food from the mouths of the children of Garmin employees and code-writers. I am simply confirming that it is possible.

I personally like Garmin products and think they are much more intuitive than Raymarine. The chart problem is a legitimate beef, though.

Last edited by msmith10; 06-30-2012 at 04:53 PM.
Old 06-30-2012

. My stupid mistake for not checking that the coverage was the same when I bought them, but wouldn't you think that two sticks both labeled Olympia to Skagway, for the same plotter, just different years, would have the same coverage? I did. And to add insult to unjury I of course left the puck gps for the laptop and CPN at home so I got to stand in the rain a couple of days until I remembered that I had a Navionics plotter in my Iphone that covered all of BC ($10), so I set that up inside. Other than this (and I take full credit for my dumb mistake) I have had good luck with the Garmin products.[/QUOTE]

I had a Garmin memory stick for the old plotter. Labeled NW coast Canada, the area between Campbell River and Port McNeil was not included......
Old 06-30-2012
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough

Well, you probably didn't need Seymour or Johnston St. anyway, right? :-((

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 06-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd22 View Post
Well, you probably didn't need Seymour or Johnston St. anyway, right? :-((
That,s right. Most people use a road map for that easy section....
jrd22 likes this.