Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-05-2012

itsaboat is on a distinguished road
New Dripless! What else should I check while hauled out?

Had the marina haul the boat (27' Pearson full keel) out today and a buddy and I finally replaced the perilous old stuffing box with a PSS Dripless. Everything went smoothly and we were done in 6 hours. See the before and after pics attached or head over to Main Sail's site for another view.

While the boat is out, I am going to replace the depth and speed through hulls. That will be tomorrow in the 102 degree heat, a break from the 106 degree heat we have had lately.

The cutlass bearing has been "squealing" and has been giving some resistance to the little 7.5 horse diesel. I did not know the source of the noise until we hauled out and the shaft was hard to turn and the cutlass bearing squeaked when turning. There is no play in it, so is this a problem? We hit it with some silicon spray and that helped. I figure it will wallow out eventually.

Is there anything else I should check while the boat is on the trailer?
Attached Thumbnails
New Dripless! What else should I check while hauled out?-stuffing-before.jpg   New Dripless! What else should I check while hauled out?-stuffing-after.jpg  
Old 07-05-2012
Junior member, rest old

msmith10 is on a distinguished road
Re: New Dripless! What else should I check while hauled out?

Did you check engine alignment? Separate the prop shaft coupler from the transmission output flange, then slide them back together but don't bolt them down. Are they lined up circumferentially? If so, put a feeler gauge at 12, 3, 6 and 9 o'clock. You shouldn't have more than .001 clearance difference per inch diameter of shaft coupler diameter. In other words, if your shaft coupler is 3" in diameter, you shouldn't have more than .003 clearance at any of the above spots. This is a simplified instruction, but start there.
Old 07-05-2012

orientalnc2010 is on a distinguished road

If the shaft is hard to turn then I would suspect that the engine is not aligned properly. Now that you have the PSS installed you will have to use two feeler gauges to check the coupling to the transmisson flange. One as a shim to hold the flange and coupling apart and the other gauge to check the gap.
If you have the correct alignment then the shaft should turn free and not squeal. If this does not help then.... Did you happen to notice if your shaft was centered in your stern tube when you had things apart? The stern tube and cutlass need to be in the same plane or in line with each other and maintained that way when messing with the engine mounts.
Once you have the boat back in the water check the engine alignment again.
Hope this solves your problem.
PSC 31 #125
Ryoko
Oriental, NC
One of the two happiest days in a sailors life
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-05-2012

Clarification. The prop shaft squeaked in the cutlass bearing whether it was attached to the transmission or not. It just seems tight.

We did not check the feeler gauge clearance. I can loosen the bolts and do that while it is out. Good suggestion. Question is what do I do if the alignment isn't right? Adjust the engine mount settings?
Old 07-06-2012
Junior member, rest old

msmith10 is on a distinguished road

This is a quick summary: this all assumes the shaft coupling is square on the shaft and the shaft is straight (not a safe assumption).
If there's a gap when you check with the feeler, rotate the shaft 180 degrees. If the gap moves to the opposite side then the assumption is wrong. If the gap stays in same place proceed as follows

1) Shim or block the propshaft so it is centered in the shaft tube.
2) Shift the engine right or left until its centerline is lined up with the centerline of the shaft and the gaps on the left and right sides are roughly equal.
3) Raise or lower the rear of the engine until the center of the engine coupling is close to the center of the shaft coupling.
4) Raise or lower the front of the engine until the gap is even and minimum all around the coupling
5) Repeat steps 2-4 as necessary until the gap all around is less than 0.003".
6) Remove the shaft centering shim/block.
Old 07-07-2012

Thanks for the detail. I will check it out.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.