Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2012
Sailor

Gladrags1 is on a distinguished road
Re: Opinions on anchor swivels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Ship View Post
Tod, what type of swivel do you have and how do you have it attached?
I am not certain of the manufacturer. I have 2 swivels, one was purchased at a boatshow from Fawcetts and the other from West Marine, I believe. I have 2 anchors, each with it's own swivel. They are both robustly built. I use them to attach the anchor to the chain which permits them to pass more easily through the anchor roller. The problem with the traditional shackle was that it would jam in the roller and prevent complete retrieval and create a difficult chore up on the bowsprit. One of the swivels is attached using an allen wrench, the other a flat head screw driver. All fasteners are treated with red loctite. I needed to remove both swivels to disassemble the bowsprit earlier this year. I did so after applying heat to the threads to free the grip of the loctite. Both swivels were in excellent shape, no bent or mangled metal and all joints showed no signs of wear.

Tod
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Gladrags1; 07-09-2012 at 09:27 AM. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-09-2012
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough

I like keeping things simple and since I see no practical reason for a swivel I don't use one. We have all chain rode and generally don't have a problem with the anchor, although once in awhile I'll have to give it a pull with the boat hook to align it properly in the roller. I'm pretty sure I would have to do that almost every time with a swivel.
windnrock likes this.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 07-09-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

We've got a swivel on this boat and I'd second John and Dave's remarks.

We do have an occasional need to plonk the anchor with the boathook or it comes up backwards. I have noticed that if I bring it up with the boat stationary or nearly so no problem but with some way on, the anchor wil spin underwater and then not fully realign. If it brings up a lump of mud then all bets are off.

As for the swivel, I suspect it does contribute to the problem and I intend removing it at some point. Certainly if I was to be leaving the boat at anchor for any time I'd not want it there but for now I'm not overly worried.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 07-10-2012

Dog Ship is on a distinguished road

My concern wasn't so much with retrieving the anchor as I have to be on the foredeck to operate the windlass anyway, getting the anchor situated in the roller is fairly easy and just part of the job.
I was more concerned with how the anchor would sit in the mud with say 400feet of twisted chain and rode, in a hard blow with a current.
But that got me to thinking, was the swivel designed for just the ease of aligning your anchor in the roller, or was it originally meant to function underwater and the ease it created in aligning your anchor in the roller came after the fact?
Is the anchor going to have a tendancy to rotate if there is no swivel?
Over 90% of the boats in our marina have a swivel, and they have one for a reason I just don't understand the reason. Why would you needlessly compromise a connection? A splice or a shackle that can be easily inspected and makes far more sense to me, but am I missing something here?
Hey John, how much chain do you have on board and what type of primary anchor are you using?
No slobbering on the charts.
Old 2 Weeks Ago

windnrock is on a distinguished road

With 200' of chain and most of your anchoring in less than 50', you may want to consider leaving the line off until you need it. You might want to hold off on the swivel as well. See if you need it first. If for some reason you do (personally I don't have the need and we live on the hook)go with a good galvanized one and use a foot of chain between it and the anchor. Use galvanized mild steel shackles as well, they take sudden load better than stainless. Both my Rocna and CQR seem to come up in the rollers just fine without a swivel and they are 77 lb. and 70 lb. respectively and all on chain. When you secure the bitter end of your chain, leave a few links loose so you can attach your additional rode without undoing your chain. By the way, do you really have 5/8" chain?
Old 2 Weeks Ago

windnrock is on a distinguished road

"Over 90% of the boats in our marina have a swivel, and they have one for a reason I just don't understand the reason. Why would you needlessly compromise a connection? A splice or a shackle that can be easily inspected and makes far more sense to me, but am I missing something here?"

Exactly, I wonder how many of them have a swivel because....well all these other people have them so...... Without finding out if they actually need one. Swivels do, for whatever reason, have a history of breakage. Check out the thread, Anchor swivels... yea or nay?.. and how?
Old 2 Weeks Ago

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough

I don't believe a swivel is necessary and would be the weak point of any good anchoring system. As posted earlier the only reason I can think for one is if you are anchored for many days or weeks and the boat twists the chain.

You can't have 5/8" chain, maybe 3/8"?
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Some eye-opening images in this newer, related thread here:

Anchor swivels... yea or nay?.. and how?

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Stu Jackson is on a distinguished road

Useless.

Ground Tackle & Anchor System Sizing TABLES & Swivels

If your issue is the anchor coming up right side to, then a swivel will only igve you a 50% chance of success. Think about it.

What you need is an anchor connector that flips the anchor to the proper side when it comes up. There's a name for them and I've seen them here on the internet, sorry escapes me at the moment.
Old 2 Weeks Ago

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road

This swivel thing generated some good discussion on the dock this past weekend. My question is if the “bow” portion of the shackle is supposed to go through the anchor stock and the pin on the chain side, where do you find an anchor swivel that will fit a Rocna 33# that will still allow it to pass through the anchor roller? (I have a bail on mine to keep the rode from jumping the roller.)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.