Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-07-2012

kalaniwavo is on a distinguished road
Sailing Dry Shirt Material

I'm fair skinned, sail in hot weather and looking for a t-shirt that will provide sun protection but won't get water logged when it gets wet like a normal cotton T. I have a rash guard but don't really like the tightness and general uncomfortableness.

Are there any materials or tshirts so that they fit loose but after a quick dip in the water the shirt will still remain loose fitting (not clinging to me like cotton) and relatively quick drying?

there has to be something out there but doing a search on the net EVERYONE makes some kinda wicking, moisture repellent crap but I don't think that's exactly what I'm looking for

Thanks!
Nick
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-07-2012

Mobnets is on a distinguished road
Re: Sailing Dry Shirt Material

I've got a bunch of Columbia brand shirts, T-shirts, and shorts that all fit your criteria.

Mobnets
1973 Paceship Chance 32/28 "Westwind"
Old 07-07-2012
Apropos of Nothing

painkiller will become famous soon enough

Well, wicking and moisture repellant are sorta opposites, so I don't recall seeing any clothing that is both. The wicking stuff draws water away from the skin and allows it to evaporate quickly. I wear this stuff all summer long as casual wear, not just when I'm active. It's a life saver and I swear by it. I even discovered moisture-wicking boxer-briefs at the REI and it really does make a difference in terms of comfort. You can get polo shirts in that material and I might look into those for when we go ashore to dine.

I swim in the moisture-wicking shirts and they do dry very quickly. They will cling to you while wet, but that's not usually for very long. I don't find rash guards to be as comfortable.

I think one of the first big brands to come out with this stuff is Under Armour, though everyone makes it nowadays. LL Bean and Lands End have it at a reasonable price, though it's not really any cheaper than Under Armour. There's always the REI. They usually have a good variety of wicking shirts with UV protection and even bug-mesh sleeves.

Having said all of this, let us know if you find something that works better for you. I'd be interested in checking it out.
Old 07-07-2012

mstern is on a distinguished road

I needed some sun block t shirts for snorkeling in Aruba, and found great bargains at Cabela's. Upf of 50, quick drying, really cool in the heat, and the most comfortable t's I own. And $11 each, free shipping. Can't beat that with a stick.

Cabela's: Cabela's Made in the Shade™ Short-Sleeve Tee Shirt – Regular
Old 07-07-2012

kalaniwavo is on a distinguished road

I'm going to make a trip to REI today and see what they have. I'm never a fan of REI because of their sky high prices but they do usually have the good stuff. I think I'm looking more for a water resistant shirt. something that water just sheets off of.. but I guess that probably wouldn't breathe well either. well see how it goes. Thanks!!

Nick
Old 07-07-2012

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalaniwavo View Post
...EVERYONE makes some kinda wicking, moisture repellent crap but I don't think that's exactly what I'm looking for
I think that's exactly what you're seeking.

The material itself does not retain moisture, like cotton does. Instead it wicks it to the surface, where it'll evaporate. All kinds of manufacturers and stores make and sell all kinds of the stuff. The really good stuff is Under Armour. That's also the expensive stuff.

Jim
Old 07-07-2012
Apropos of Nothing

painkiller will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalaniwavo View Post
I'm going to make a trip to REI today and see what they have. I'm never a fan of REI because of their sky high prices but they do usually have the good stuff. I think I'm looking more for a water resistant shirt. something that water just sheets off of.. but I guess that probably wouldn't breathe well either. well see how it goes. Thanks!!

Nick
Once a month they have their 20-30% off sales. You have to catch those. The rest of the time, members get up to a 10% dividend for regular-priced purchases.
Old 07-08-2012

tommays will become famous soon enough

WE hike a lot and sail a lot and personally i put out a good bit of moisture which exceeds the best stuff money can buys ability to stay completely dry all the time

Anything polypro is used a base layer and does wick off of you to the surface to evaporate BUT its gotta make skin contact to work

For bargains you have to read the labels as i got some of my best stuff at target under the MERONA label

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-10-2012
Yacht Broker

Brian Duff is on a distinguished road

Hiho sells 'sun-tec' shirts which are excellent down here for hot weather warm waves as they dry very quick and block the sun, are comfortable too not hot like a lot of poly stuff.

look at HIHO - 100% Caribbean Clothing Company — Welcome for their sun-tec stuff.
Old 07-10-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Columbia, Ex-Officio, there are a batch of brand names sold in camping stores that advertise "SPF50" for their shirts and pants, as well as the fast-drying ability. You're not likely to find these at the corner store.

You might try some of the raw silk button-down shirts sold at the wholesale clubs (might be too late for this year) as raw silk blocks more sun than lightweight cotton, and dries a whole lot faster. Typically $22 or so, and the special stuff sold in camping stores may be twice that.