SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Throttle cable releasing back to idle (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/89446-throttle-cable-releasing-back-idle.html)

patrscoe 07-07-2012 08:28 PM

Throttle cable releasing back to idle

Since we purchased our sailboat late last year, the throttle has no tension and springs back to idle if I let go from the handle. The Yanmar has an internal spring and The Edson model I have (throttle on the side and shifter in the front) does not have a tension screw. I read on previous posts that you can put a Morse cable brake part #44386 on the cable, using this as a tension seems like it would damage the cable over time.
Any thoughts on the proper fix?

killarney_sailor 07-07-2012 09:23 PM

Re: Throttle cable releasing back to idle

i think the cable brake is the way to go. I have had them on a couple of boats and they have worked very well. On the current boat I have the Morse type you mention and other than a ridiculous price for such a simple thing it does the trick.On an earlier boat I used a generic saddle clamp and it seemed just as good. You tighten these clamps only enough to produce a little bit of friction inside the cable so no damage is done. It is just trial and error to get the right amount and is easier with two people.

RobGallagher 07-07-2012 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patrscoe (Post 893915)
Since we purchased our sailboat late last year, the throttle has no tension and springs back to idle if I let go from the handle. The Yanmar has an internal spring and The Edson model I have (throttle on the side and shifter in the front) does not have a tension screw. I read on previous posts that you can put a Morse cable brake part #44386 on the cable, using this as a tension seems like it would damage the cable over time.
Any thoughts on the proper fix?

Sorry to ask what may be a silly questions, but, have you taken the compass off the binnacle to be sure there is no tension screw?

Also, some older marine engines don't have a throttle return spring. Could you simply remove the return spring from the engine and use it that way?

Honestly, I don't understand having a return spring and then using a tension screw so that it won't return on it's own.

jrd22 07-07-2012 11:45 PM

I may have to break down and buy the Morse brake, I've tried hose clamps on the cable but it's not very satisfactory.

Capt. Gary Randall 07-08-2012 01:42 AM

the most economical away to fix your problem is to install a spring where the cable connects to the governor on the engine. On the throttle arm you should be able to connect a universal spring that you can purchase in most any auto parts store. These universal springs have one end that is set up so you can bend them to set the tension that is required to neutralize the governor spring....CaptG

ggray 07-08-2012 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobGallagher (Post 893955)

Honestly, I don't understand having a return spring and then using a tension screw so that it won't return on it's own.

I always figured that the idea was that if the cable broke the engine would drop to idle speed.

patrscoe 07-08-2012 09:50 PM

I believe the gov spring is a safety feature. I did remove the compass and housing, and there is no tension screw and matches the Edson detail drawing for this specific pedestal. I found a few older forum threads within this topic and the majority of the responses noted that they have used the Morse brake clamp with success. So that might be my best route to correct the problem.
Thanks