Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By TQA

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2012

i_amcdn is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to i_amcdn Send a message via MSN to i_amcdn Send a message via Yahoo to i_amcdn
Edel 665 ...crack in deck / ceiling

I looked at an Edel 665 today. Pretty dirty and neglected from sitting on the cradle since fall 2010 in Toronto heat and winter cold. Sheets and halyards are all toast but I am getting such a great deal that I do not want to pass on it however there is this one crack inside on the roof that I need advice on how to fix.

It seems to be just around where the teak hand rail is attached on the deck.

All suggestions will be most appreciated....beer if you are in Toronto.
Attached Thumbnails
Edel 665 ...crack in deck / ceiling-gh010677-crop.jpg   Edel 665 ...crack in deck / ceiling-gh010674-medium-.jpg  
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-08-2012

Send a message via ICQ to i_amcdn Send a message via MSN to i_amcdn Send a message via Yahoo to i_amcdn
Re: Edel 665 ...crack in deck / ceiling

I was thinking that I could add a handrail glued to the ceiling, as a re-inforcement. after the glass repair.

Last edited by i_amcdn; 07-08-2012 at 09:44 AM.
Old 07-08-2012
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road

Whoa there. If those nuts are the ones holding that shrould mount and it looks as if they are, then you have a boat with a SERIOUS structural failure.

As well as fixing the visible evidence and that will need more than a bit of filler plus a glued on handrail, you need to investigate the other side as well.

Also from Sailingdog

It has a partially cored hull IIRC, and you need to make sure that water hasn't gotten in and caused any delamination. I don't believe the core in the hull will rot as I believe it is PVC-based foam.

The cross beams that connect the hulls to the bridgedeck are aluminum.

Corrosion is going to be a problem at the fasteners, since I believe the fasteners are stainless steel. I personally prefer cats that have the hull molded as a single piece... but that's just me.

The forestay connects to crossbeam that is also supported by a "dolphin striker" and that needs to be in good shape, otherwise the forestay support can fail.

Rudder shafts on this boat were aluminum originally. I believe the bearings were bronze... this is a galvanic corrosion problem in many cases, and should be checked closely.

I believe the deck is also cored, and needs to be checked for any signs of water intrusion or delamination.

Also, I believe the cabin soles are fiberglass and plywood, so you may want to check the sole for any water intrusion that may have rotted the plywood. I don't believe the plywood was fully encapsulated in fiberglass on these boats.
paul323 likes this.
Old 07-08-2012

Thanks....The other side looks clean and solid. Sole is dry inside. I will wait to have someone more qualified look at it....my DIY may have just expanded to include some outsiders.

Cheers.
Old 07-08-2012
Senior Pirate

TropicCat is on a distinguished road

Looks like SD was commenting on a multihull.

This is a 22' mono built in the '70s. I hope you were given the boat as you're about to spend a lot of money repairing her.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-08-2012
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TropicCat View Post
Looks like SD was commenting on a multihull.

This is a 22' mono built in the '70s. I hope you were given the boat as you're about to spend a lot of money repairing her.
My bad thought it was an Edel cat.

Still think that crack looks bad. But at 22 feet I would get someone on a mast head halyard and pull the thing well over to see what happens.
Old 07-08-2012
Senior Pirate

TropicCat is on a distinguished road

at the risk of thread drift, where might one find sailingdog these days?

Old 07-08-2012
Irwin 25

andrewalexander is on a distinguished road

The good news is that the Edel 665 is a solid fiberglass deck so this should not be a deck coring issue. The chain plate for the upper and lower shrouds is a two plate affair that is thru bolted between the hull to an inner plate that is anchored to an inner hull molding just aft of your second picture. I would guess that water has migrated through this area and has frozen and split the upper ceiling area where the split is showing up. It will take some minor fiberglass work to repair but I would be surprised if the structure is seriously compromised.

It would still be a good idea to have someone with experience poke around in that split to see if the damage is just superficial to to the interior ceiling material. It would suggest the thru hole bedding in the boat needs to be addressed.

Good luck...@
Old 03-18-2013

In the end it was simple to fix.
I cut through the 12 inch wide wood inlay and pried it down about 12" either side of the cut.
There were no water stains or mold or anything that would suggest water leaks.
I stuck my 6-10 caulking gun in as far as I could on wither side and jammed the inlay back into the recess in the fibreglass. Other than the cut I made there is no other evidence. I may glue some LED strip lighting over the cut.
Old 03-21-2013

norahs arc is on a distinguished road

Just read the thread and see that you found what I was going to tell you. It's common for this wooden trim to lift or drop away apparently.I had the same thing happen on one I owned. That said you have a boat that will sail nicely. They are very stable and quick. The only thing I didn't care for was that my 6 ft 200 lb body didn't have much room to move arround inside or out. Even with the cramped size I still spent up to 3 weeks at a time sailing it because it was just so enjoyable. Have fun and play safe.