Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-09-2012

Romario is on a distinguished road
Custom cut round plastic window for forward hatch

The hatch on my boat has a round plastic window (plexiglass or polycarbonate, not sure which) and as I understand it didn't hold very well in place and it was accidentally dropped overboard while cleaning, so we need a replacement.

Does anyone know a good place that can create custom cut window?
And what is better - plexiglass or polycarbonate? The window will be stepped on, so needs to be strong.

And the shape is like this - upper diameter is 16 1/2'', lower is 16 1/4'', the top is 1/8'' in height and the cut is 1/8''

Code:
 -------------------------
|_                       _|
   ----------------------
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-09-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Re: Custom cut round plastic window for forward hatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romario View Post
The hatch on my boat has a round plastic window (plexiglass or polycarbonate, not sure which) and as I understand it didn't hold very well in place and it was accidentally dropped overboard while cleaning, so we need a replacement.

Does anyone know a good place that can create custom cut window?
And what is better - plexiglass or polycarbonate? The window will be stepped on, so needs to be strong.

And the shape is like this - upper diameter is 16 1/2'', lower is 16 1/4'', the top is 1/8'' in height and the cut is 1/8''

Code:
 -------------------------
|_                       _|
   ----------------------
Any plastics shop should be able to do this for you. I'd recommend acrylic (Plexiglass) over Lexan - Lexan is more expensive and scratches more easily and Plexi is plenty strong enough - most hatches use plexi when manufactured.

If you know the make of your hatch you might be able to get a replacement lens from the manufacturer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 07-09-2012

Not sure about the manufacturer, the boat is O'Day 30. Do you think 3/8'' is enough thickness to withstand people standing on it?
Old 07-09-2012
Senior Moment Member

Quote:
Not sure about the manufacturer, the boat is O'Day 30. Do you think 3/8'' is enough thickness to withstand people standing on it?
Just replace it with whatever thickness it currently is. 3/8" plexi is plenty strong - that's what most hatches seem to have in them. Perhaps Deniseo30 can help - she has an O'Day 30

By the by, walking on hatch lenses is not a good idea - they get scratched and they can be VERY slippery when wet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 07-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
Just replace it with whatever thickness it currently is. 3/8" plexi is plenty strong - that's what most hatches seem to have in them. Perhaps Deniseo30 can help - she has an O'Day 30

By the by, walking on hatch lenses is not a good idea - they get scratched and they can be VERY slippery when wet.
The one that was there got lost - my gf was cleaning and it looks like it wasn't held in place very well, so it got overboard.

I know it's not a good idea, but sometimes guests might step into it and I don't want them to fall through.

I actually sent the message, trying to get a quote, so far only got one answer and the price is $200 - pretty steep for a small piece of plastic.

Do you think it will be hard to cut it by myself? I remember we cut organic glass without much problem, the only thing is - how do I make the ridge.
Old 07-17-2012

jsaronson is on a distinguished road

Maritime Plastics in Annapolis or Piedmont Plastics - various locations
Old 07-17-2012
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough

I highly recommend Select Plasrics in Brooklyn, NY. They are right under one of the elevated subway lines, a stop or two from Flatbush Avenue (Atlantic Terninal) station, behind a very non descript door. (Check to make sure you got the right "select Plastics". I think there may be 2 of them.)

I got 16x18 lenses of Polucarbonate for $90 each. And I got it slighty thicker than what was there originally.

They have a computer cutting table that does the actual cutting. (If you had the old lens, it would be a big help, of course.)

Regards,
Brad
Old 07-17-2012
Senior Moment Member

Quote:
Do you think it will be hard to cut it by myself? I remember we cut organic glass without much problem, the only thing is - how do I make the ridge.
Plexi is easy to work with woodworking tools. Cut the disk with a jigsaw with a plastics blade, sand the edge smooth and then rout the lip (ridge) with a bearing pilot router bit. Using a router table helps a lot. Any good tool store will have an appropriate rabbeting bit.

Old 07-18-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

You can also get UV coated acrylic which probably makes sense to stop it from crazing in the long run. I used it to replace all my big salon glazing units and it is holding up well after 3 years. +1 on cutting it yourself. If in a hatch, it needs something other than just sealant to keep it in place.
Old 07-18-2012
Senior Moment Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
If in a hatch, it needs something other than just sealant to keep it in place.
Dow Corning 795