Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-10-2012

Bruce_L is on a distinguished road
Tohatsu 6hp Sail-Pro Version

Found a good deal on a new 6hp Tohatsu 4-stroke with a 25" shaft. This is the Sail-pro model. Also has a 5A alternator already installed as well as a larger prop with less pitch (8x6 instead of a 7x7 more or less) I'm not looking to plane my boat anyhow... I know this is the same as the Mercury/Nissan from my research here.

Anybody have one if these? The model was updated later into 2011 if I am correct. Was considering a 5HP Honda or a 6hp Yamaha, but the additional 5" of shaft plus the ability to charge my 12V batt is a plus,. The price is $1538 with no shipping charges. Every Honda/Yamaha dealer in town can "Order" me a motor but, heck I can do that too! I'd still have to pay to have a charging system added as well.

What do you think?

BTW - If you had problems with yours from bad/ethanol gas please tell me another time. I just want to know if you are happy with the motor.

Thanks, Bruce
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-10-2012

Sea Dawg is on a distinguished road
Re: Tohatsu 6hp Sail-Pro Version

My sister got the 9.8 Tohatsu with charger and starts 1st time every time. Purrs. But it's heavy as all 4 cycles are. Still a good motor.
Old 07-10-2012

Ward H is on a distinguished road
Tohatsu 6hp Sail-Pro Version

My 4hp Tohatsu starts first pull and runs great. For 2012 they have a longer tiller (3"?) and the shifter is up front instead of on the side. Sail Pro should have same new features.
Old 07-10-2012

StPeteSteve is on a distinguished road

I have the Nissan labled version. Had it for a few months, happy so far. Starts right up with a light pull. I wish the motor would have come with an internal tank as well as the external tank like the non sailpro versions... most of the time I just need to get in and out of the slip, don't really need that much fuel.
Old 07-11-2012

Bruce_L is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by StPeteSteve View Post
I wish the motor would have come with an internal tank as well as the external tank like the non sailpro versions... most of the time I just need to get in and out of the slip, don't really need that much fuel.
I agree, most times I'll run for 10-15 minutes to clear the breakwater then its all wind from there. Still torn between the 20" 4hp internal tank and the 6 HP sail pro version. Money isn't the variable, its space and complexity of systems. Extra tank and hose, longer shaft to trip over...

I have a motor well in the cockpit that makes it easy to run my motor and I love it, but I pull the outboard out and stow it when I am sailing.

Used to get by on a Johnson 3HP 2-stroke but had one day with rough seas and wind and almost went into the rock jetty at the harbor entrance, while under full power Poor little motor spent 2/3 of the time with the prop bobbing out of the water. Has a teeny plastic prop too!!!!

I appreciate the input from everyone. Bruce
Old 07-11-2012

MarkSF is on a distinguished road

I had the tohatsu 3.5, and it was a great engine
I would make one comment re the internal fuel tank. Its fine if you're sure you're only going to cruise short distances under power. But for longer stretches, filling up the tank in any kind of swell is unpleasant and dangerous. You find yourself hanging off the back of the boat with a gas tank, and they all need 2 hands to work.
Old 07-11-2012

Merit25lovers is on a distinguished road

I purchased a 6hp Tohatsu 4-stroke with a 25" shaft last season. Beautiful motor, and light, in my opinion, for its size (long shaft).

It does vibrate a bit, probably louder than my 2 cylinder 2 stroke, but it is reliable and really moves the boat.

Had an issue with extreme shaking coming in one evening. I think it was due to not priming the motor before starting it to come in. Either that or I had it too low in the water, and we had a lot of sea grass that night. Note sure, but my advice is to always prime before starting (or your fuel flow will never be adequate) and don't lower that cavitation plate too far into the water (easy to do with the 25" shaft!)

Enjoy!
Old 07-11-2012

mikehoyt is on a distinguished road

I bought the 4 hp 20" shaft version. then I had carb upgrade to 6hp, added the alternator and the hi thrust prop. Now I have essentially the sailpro version with two differences. First is 20 " long shaft vs 25. My boat has low freeboard so I did not want the longer version. Second is I have both the internal AND external tank. Very convenient. I could have bought the sailpro for $100 less but this way it suits my needs better

No problem with the motor other than people stealing it. Bought a 2012 replacement this year to replace the new one I bought last year (and was stolen). Again I ordered 4hp and had upgraded to 6 with alternator and hi thrust prop.

Great motor. The hi thrust prop is nice as well. 4/5/6 hp versions are the same motor except carb. I believe 59lbs.

Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-11-2012

dabnis is on a distinguished road

I bought the 6HP Tohatsu 4 stroke with the standard shaft several months ago. A little cranky to start, about 10 pulls. Other than that it runs perfectly, gets a 12 foot 700 lb Jon Boat up on a plane and runs 10.4 MPH. Cranky starting may be because of our 6,000 foot altitude? Probably not. It has the integral tank, can't pressurize it with the squeeze bulb.

Paul T
Old 07-11-2012

bratzcpa is on a distinguished road

I have the 9.8 Nissan - - 25" shaft, elect start and 6amp charging. Absolutely love it.

Pro: Starts very very easily, quiet (purrs), miserly on gas, easy to use controls even when hanging off the back of my sailboat, no smoke, no smell.

Cons: HEAVY - pretty difficult to mount and dismount. Also, the flywheel broke the first time out. Replaced under warranty though and no problems since.

overall, very happy with Nissan motor. 25" shaft is perfect length. elec start very very nice and charging circuit awesome.

S/V "New Girl" on the dock

Catalina 27