Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2012

Robes is on a distinguished road
Re: Opinions on PDF, Harness, & Tethers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
Kinda hard to get a single centreline jackline to work on anything but a flush decker with no mast in the way( nor anything else)
I agree, but if your single handling on ocean passages you find away to make it work, the boat certainly makes a difference also. I'm not setting any records getting from stern to fore deck. Not for everyone or every application that's for sure.

Last edited by Robes; 07-20-2012 at 08:10 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-20-2012
HANUMAN

RobGallagher is on a distinguished road

Working with a single jackline on a smaller (10ish ft beam) boat allows one to walk the deck with a five foot tether. ...I say walk, but I mean crouch/crawl and use the hand holds...

My tether uses standard snap shackles with a beaded release line. Maybe not the best set up, but again, my set up should keep me on deck, not being dragged and having to release and watch the boat sail away.

When single handing I keep a water proof hand held in my pocket just in case. I'm seldom more than 15 - 20 miles from shore so that should work for me if I do go over.

Whatever your setup, unless you have a full crew and/or are racing in good visibility with other boats around, the objective should be to stay ON the boat, not just attached to it.

Just my humble opinion, but I'm sticking to it.
Old 07-20-2012

Robes is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobGallagher View Post
Working with a single jackline on a smaller (10ish ft beam) boat allows one to walk the deck with a five foot tether. ...I say walk, but I mean crouch/crawl and use the hand holds...

My tether uses standard snap shackles with a beaded release line. Maybe not the best set up, but again, my set up should keep me on deck, not being dragged and having to release and watch the boat sail away.

When single handing I keep a water proof hand held in my pocket just in case. I'm seldom more than 15 - 20 miles from shore so that should work for me if I do go over.

Whatever your setup, unless you have a full crew and/or are racing in good visibility with other boats around, the objective should be to stay ON the boat, not just attached to it.

Just my humble opinion, but I'm sticking to it.

Spot on Rob!

I guess I didn't spell out in my original post any specifics outside of the question I asked, that being what type of clasp is best to attach to a harness, locking or quick release? I did specifically ask we don't go into Jacklines, although the thread has taken that direction.Hard not to, but then more guidelines need to be in place concerning, what type of sailing your up to, where, adult/child, weather, on shore/off shore etc. etc.

At this point I hope the understanding in reading the thread is that a Jackline needs to be tailor made for your boat, as well as the tether system, and running a single mid-line(not to infer center line) maybe broken in some spots (obviously you can't run a single Jackline from bow to stern uninterrupted). Also see "hellosailor" post above.

From my understanding of your post, you are using a quick release for your ventures as described. Your system to me seems sound in your usage, of course your not giving specifics of your total setup, as per the question. But, I wonder after reading this thread, if you were to cross an ocean (eg. Atlantic or Pacific) would you stay with a quick release or go with a locking system?

Last edited by Robes; 07-21-2012 at 12:18 AM.
Old 07-22-2012
HANUMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robes View Post
Spot on Rob!

I guess I didn't spell out in my original post any specifics outside of the question I asked, that being what type of clasp is best to attach to a harness, locking or quick release? I did specifically ask we don't go into Jacklines, although the thread has taken that direction.Hard not to, but then more guidelines need to be in place concerning, what type of sailing your up to, where, adult/child, weather, on shore/off shore etc. etc.

At this point I hope the understanding in reading the thread is that a Jackline needs to be tailor made for your boat, as well as the tether system, and running a single mid-line(not to infer center line) maybe broken in some spots (obviously you can't run a single Jackline from bow to stern uninterrupted). Also see "hellosailor" post above.

From my understanding of your post, you are using a quick release for your ventures as described. Your system to me seems sound in your usage, of course your not giving specifics of your total setup, as per the question. But, I wonder after reading this thread, if you were to cross an ocean (eg. Atlantic or Pacific) would you stay with a quick release or go with a locking system?
These are the products (if not exact, very similar) I use. "If I where to cross an ocean" I can't honestly say what I would change as I have never crossed nor do I plan to in the near future. I also don't think I would cross in my current boat so the set up might be different.

I recently sailed from Maryland to Block Island using this set up and I think it works fine for coastal.

Thinking it over, the problem with my opinion is, I have never been hit by a rogue wave or had to go up on deck for a sail change in 40 knot winds in heavy seas. I sail often, but choose my weather window carefully and use the NOAA radar from my iphone to avoid strong, fast moving cells...so far I've been very lucky. I know people who cast off when I would wait it out...

Revere ComfortMax Inflatable PFD

Wichard Dual Safety Tether

WEST MARINE Polyester Webbing Jacklines at West Marine
Old 07-22-2012

delite is on a distinguished road

Seems a single jack line only works if you dont have a dodger to get around when going forward.
Brent Swain likes this.
Old 07-22-2012
"Fairhaven" Formosa 41

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Robes,

Looks like you've done your homework and I like the set up you propose. See if you can get your hands on the harness/vest system before you buy. If the 2 part harness system works well, then go for it. If it's fiddly, then just get an integrated vest/harness combo and buy a used harness for $20 at a sailing consignment store so you have the harness only option.

I'm especially happy that you've read PDQAltair's tether articles. I'm getting back into climbing now and in retrospect I can't believe that sailors would use a 6' static tether! It gives me the chills.

MedSailor
Old 07-22-2012
"Fairhaven" Formosa 41

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
I once read an article in British magazine about testing safety harnesses. The ran a boat at 4 knots, and had a guy in a safety harness jump overboard. With the tether attached at the centre of his chest , his motion thru the water built up such a huge bow wave, that he couldn't get his head above it, and it threatened to drown him. A few years ago, a guy was drowned that way, by his "Safety Harness" in the Farallones race. Before they could get the boat stopped, he was dead. I'm surprised no one filed a lawsuit against the company which made the "Safety Harness"
Then they tried attaching the tether to the back. Worked well, he was comfortable and could breath, but there was no way he could reach the tether to pull himself in.
Then they attached it to the top of the shoulder. Much better! He could breath, and he could pull himself in.
Another advantage of the top of the shoulder attachement point is it doesn't dig into you when you wear it in your bunk. I use a lashing in front, instead of metal parts , for the same reason.I build mine that way, and wouldn't consider doing it any other way.

Brent,

I would also like to see this article. I wouldn't be surprised if drowning by towing would be the case. I've experimented a little with this kind of thing while water-skiing .

It seems to me that the attachment point, dragging/drowning issue is a solved problem though. I believe the swiftwater rescue crowd has addressed this issue long ago with their Pfds that attach in the back, then have a load-bearing strap that goes around to the front that is on a quick release. This means you have the force on the front of the vest (like a sailing harness) but you can release an EASY TO OPERATE buckle and instantly be attached (and towed) at the back.

Here is a picture of one.

MedSailor

As an aside, I don't think carrying a PLB is the best option unless you are single handing away from VHF range. In all other scenarios having a waterproof VHF with GPS is better. It's especially better, I believe, for the cruising couple. I think that even if you go overboard at sea there would be a chance of recovery because the VICTIM could direct the boat back to them instead of the boat looking for the person among the waves.
Old 07-22-2012
HANUMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by delite View Post
Seems a single jack line only works if you dont have a dodger to get around when going forward.
Leave the longer side of the tether attached to the jackline. Clip on/unclip with the snap shackle at your harness. The longer (5 ft) tether might allow you to lead the snap shackle over/around the dodger? Not sure of your dodger size or set up though...