Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2012
First String

ltgoshen is on a distinguished road
Required Mast head lighting

O.K again, I have been trying to get the wiring straightened out on my C&C 30 MK1 1981 model. Working on the mast head lighting, I realized there is no light on the very top. All the other sailboats in my marina have one? Is it required? If so what kind? Green and red, 360 degree white or what?
My boat does have a white anchor light on the front of the mast. It donít work but at least I know what goes there. Any help would be great.
Thanks, Curt
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-11-2012

chuck53 is on a distinguished road
Re: Required Mast head lighting

Anchor lights are white and are usually found at the top of the mast. They also give 360 degree lighting. The white light on the front of the mast, I'm guessing mid way up, is the steaming light that you run at night when under power.
Nav lights are red and green on the bow of the boat and a white light on the stern. The requirements also depend on the size of the boat. What do you have and we can give you more specific requirements.

Check this out for lighting requirements.

http://www.boatingbasicsonline.com/c...eral/4_2_b.php
jrd22 likes this.

Last edited by chuck53; 07-11-2012 at 09:15 PM.
Old 07-11-2012
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems
Old 07-11-2012
First String

[QUOTE=chuck53;895467]Anchor lights are white and are usually found at the top of the mast. They also give 360 degree lighting. The white light on the front of the mast, I'm guessing mid way up, is the steaming light that you run at night when under power.
Nav lights are red and green on the bow of the boat and a white light on the stern. The requirements also depend on the size of the boat. What do you have and we can give you more specific requirements.

I have a 1981 C&C30 MK1

I have a stearn white light and the Bow red and green.
is this Perko Tri-Color/White Masthead Light
below the right light? steaming light?
Thanks

Perko Tri-Color/White Masthead Light
Old 07-11-2012

chuck53 is on a distinguished road

Yes, the white light is your steaming light. Only to be used under power.
Yes, you can use that light, but it sounds like you already have reg/green nav light and a steaming light. If your steaming light isn't working, it could simply be a dead bulb. Replace it and see what happens. Try to figure out what steaming light fixture you have and try to replace the bulb with a LED bulb.
Old 07-11-2012
Junior member, rest old

msmith10 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck53 View Post
Try to figure out what steaming light fixture you have and try to replace the bulb with a LED bulb.
I love LED nav lights but this isn't a good thing to do. Unless the bulb has been certified by the manufacturer to be compliant with USCG requirements WITH THAT SPECIFIC FIXTURE then it isn't compliant. You can't just replace incandescent bulbs with LED bulbs and remain in compliance. And there are very few LED bulbs that have been certified to be in compliance as a retrofit.
Also, the steaming light is only being used when the engine is running so power drain isn't a concern. The only advantage to be gained is a longer life bulb. The advantages of low power drain and a sealed fixture aren't there.

Now an LED anchor light, that's a very good use for LEDs, as are your port, strbd, and stern lights. But a steaming light, not so much
Old 07-12-2012
First String

Will do and thanks for the advise. I will try to change the biulb in the steaming fixture. May have to climb up there first? I would only like to make one trip up. I may just go ahead and buy a steaming light and try colored mast head light and install them both new. they are both 31 years old. just may be time.
Old 07-12-2012

puddinlegs is on a distinguished road

Just curious Itgo, have you taken any basic sailing courses? Not trying to be rude, just trying to understand with more clarity where you are on the sailing learning curve.
Old 07-12-2012
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough

Installing the tricolor masthead light is a waste of time, and with the need to run new wires all the way to the panel, and new panel switches. it would be a lot of time. The utility of the tricolor is limited to offshore sailing, where its visibility might be a plus. I would argue that using a tricolor inshore is dangerous...

Buy yourself a battery-powered anchor light and hang it off the forestay when needed something like this: Anchor Lights by McDermott

Replace the existing steaming light bulb or troubleshoot the wiring and htat fixture will serve your boat another 40 years.

Use your free time to get those inboard tracks installed...
jimjazzdad and msmith10 like this.
Old 07-12-2012

Dog Ship is on a distinguished road

It will be far to difficult to mount a tri-colour or a 360 anchor light with the mast stepped.
You would have to feed a wire down through your mast and without conduit this wire will find it's way over and around everything that is already inside your mast. You will have to make a weatherproof connection at the masthead. You will be drilling holes in the masthead or the mast itself.
There is simply to much to do while sitting in a bosen's chair 40' off the water.
I know myself that I cannot sit in my bosen's chair for more than 20 minutes as it just gets to uncomfortable.
When I installed my 360 anchor light I was unable to attach anything directly to the masthead and ended up making a mounting plate that was then attached to the masthead via the spinnaker bales. I drilled a hole in the side of the mast for the wires to enter the mast and installed 1" schedual 22 conduit.
Unless you are willing to spend some money and do it properly I would stick with what you have and make it work.
Also, may I suggest that you inform yourself better as to what you want to do with someone who knows there stuff and also may be able to give you a hand.
Do not buy LED light bulbs and expect to replace the incandescent lights bulbs with them. First you will not find an LED bulb that fits your steaming light fixture as there is not enough room inside the fixture for one. Second it will not be Coast Guard approved.
I can tell you that your steaming light takes a 12v 10w #90 incandescent light bulb, that will save you one trip up your mast.
Good luck, I have a feeling you are going to need it.
No slobbering on the charts.