SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Need an engine part that apparently doesnt exist anymore (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/89649-need-engine-part-apparently-doesnt-exist-anymore.html)

Soundtrackzz 07-13-2012 03:05 PM

Need an engine part that apparently doesnt exist anymore

Hey peoples. I have an old Mariner 5C outboard from 1983. The prop and prop nut spun off so i need new ones. I can find the prop but i cant for the life of me find the prop nut. They dont make it anymore and no one knows what to replace it with. Its a cone shaped nut that no ones seen before. Heres a parts diagram that shows what im talking about, 5C Mariner Outboard 6E3-102151 AND UP GEARHOUSING ASSEMBLY Diagram and Parts (its number 54). Does any one know where i can find that part, or what i could substitute for it? Buying a whole new engine because i cant find one part seems pretty ridiculous.

Thanks
Z

deniseO30 07-13-2012 03:24 PM

Re: Need an engine part that apparently doesnt exist anymore

Just get a castle nut of the same thread and be done.. I'm sure the point won't affect the performance enough to worry about.
stainless castle nuts and bolts - Yahoo! Search Results

kd3pc 07-13-2012 03:24 PM

local machine shop can make one if you have the diameter and pitch and thread count...

else new engine time...

KBuckley 07-13-2012 04:05 PM

Denis030 has it right. You just need a nut of the right size that will stay in place. You also need to figure out whether it is imperial or metric so if you can bring the shaft with you when shopping that might be handy. Be sure to get it in stainless. You may have to drill a hole through a regular nut if the position of the cotter pin through the shaft is not compatible with what you can find.

dnf777 07-13-2012 05:10 PM

check ebay or local marinas for an old junker of the similar model. May cost more than a nut, but you'll have your own spare parts department.

davidpm 07-13-2012 07:22 PM

If the cone shaped nut has a screw hole in the end and groove in the side and a small flat spot it is meant to take a zinc that wm sells and is locked in place with a washer with an ear bent up.

This is beneteau picture
http://www.boat-mail.net/e-beneteau/...r_service.html

Maybe Volvo has that nut

travlineasy 07-13-2012 07:31 PM

If I recall correctly, the plastic cap on the back of the nut was nothing more than a decorative cone that was held in place with a cotter pin that went through a small hole the prop shaft. It really does nothing to enhance the performance or prevent cavitation. Just get an ordinary castle nut and some cotter pins to hold it in place when you shift to reverse.

Gary :cool:

Soundtrackzz 07-14-2012 09:26 AM

It was my understanding the cone held the propeller onto the shaft, but apparently im wrong. The prop shaft is the only thing protruding outside of the gearhousing cap, so im going to guess that im missing a shear pin or something else that holds the propeller on

travlineasy 07-14-2012 11:33 AM

The prop is held in place by the shear-pin, and the shear pin is held in place by the back end of the prop hub. Take a close look at the back of the prop - you should see a slot cut in the back face of the prop. This is where the shear pin fits in place. When the nut is tightened, the shear pin is seated at the back of the prop. The castle nut is kept in place by the cotter pin that passes through the openings in the castle nut and also through the prop shaft.

Hope this helps,

Gary

SloopJonB 07-14-2012 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KBuckley (Post 896027)
You also need to figure out whether it is imperial or metric so if you can bring the shaft with you when shopping that might be handy.

Easier to get a thread gauge and measure what it is. They don't cost much and are very useful.