Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2012

i_amcdn is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to i_amcdn Send a message via MSN to i_amcdn Send a message via Yahoo to i_amcdn
Re: Unused Head

I was unable to trace the water and waste lines other than they start at #707 and go through the hull just in front of the port window.
I cannot tell if the water line to the toilet is the one from the deck or it is coming from the water tank under the Vberth. It was over 45C today in the cabin and I could not spend any more detective time below. I have to figure out how someone even ran those lines because I cannot see any point of access. The storage area in the Vberth has no access panel to the water tank.

Only thing I can explore is if I remove the wooden half divider between the Veberth and salon area would that give me access to under the Vberth.
Attached Thumbnails
Unused Head-v-berth-2-medium-.jpg   Unused Head-v-berth-medium-.jpg  

Last edited by i_amcdn; 07-16-2012 at 10:56 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-17-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

I'm afraid you may have a do-over coming. Can I assume you have the same no discharge laws on your side of Lake Ontario, as we have on ours? If so, that seems to be an illegal set up, designed to pump each flush overboard.

1972 on the label? 40 years is overdue. Just get a new porta potti, cap the thru hulls and call it a day.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 07-17-2012

Send a message via ICQ to i_amcdn Send a message via MSN to i_amcdn Send a message via Yahoo to i_amcdn

1. The waste line to the deck is for a pump out, not discharge into the water
2. the "1972" is the patent date. The unit is still new looking.
Old 07-17-2012

tap is on a distinguished road

The water should come from a tank IN the porta-potty. Maybe that cap on the left side is the fill for the water tank? Looks like someone took a porta-potty and plumbed it with a deck pump-out and water fill line so you could add water and pump it out without having to take the unit out of the boat.
Old 07-17-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_amcdn View Post
1. The waste line to the deck is for a pump out, not discharge into the water
2. the "1972" is the patent date. The unit is still new looking.
Sorry, hard to tell from pic. Pumpout is good. Porta potties are filled with chemicals and typically re-flush their own slurry. Gross, I suppose. if the smaller line is to refill with fresh water, I don't really get it.

I'm not reading that as the patent date. Have you googled for the manufacturer?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 07-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Have you googled for the manufacturer?
yes, emailed both USA and CDN offices.....holding breath for response.
Old 07-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_amcdn View Post
yes, emailed both USA and CDN offices.....holding breath for response.
It kills me how many companies never ever respond to their email. I suppose, if they are anything like mine, they get hundreds of spam emails per day and the spam filter can suck up a good one too. Hopefully, they are on the ball, but I just pick up the phone now. All the best with getting your boat back on the water.

Jeanneau 54DS

Old 07-18-2012

I just got to thinking, what do the outside of those deck fittings look like? Does the presumed water inlet have a female garden hose attachment? If not, it is probably just the vent, which permits air to replace product while pumping out. Venting also allows for proper decomposition of waste, but I'm not sure a porta potti tank is designed from materials to hold waste for very long and could permeate odor. If nuked with chemicals, as they are intended, it won't matter anyway, but they can smell like chemicals instead.
Seaduction likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

Old 07-18-2012

boatpoker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankersteve View Post
On that size of boat, I am assuming there are at least 2 other heads. Perhaps this one really isn't necessary? Before you rebuild it, consider the other uses you may have for the space - dedicated shower, wet locker, dry goods storage, etc.

Not saying you shouldn't look at getting it working but maybe it really isn't necessary...

Tankersteve
An Edel 665 is 21' 10" long and I've never seen one with a head as there is no room for one or for a holding tank. I've seen a couple with portapotty's
Old 07-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I just got to thinking, what do the outside of those deck fittings look like? Does the presumed water inlet have a female garden hose attachment? If not, it is probably just the vent, which permits air to replace product while pumping out.
You are correct...it is a vent.

Now if I could just get the manual from the manufacturer....

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.