SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Unused Head (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/89673-unused-head.html)

i_amcdn 07-13-2012 10:33 PM

Unused Head

The Edel 665 that I am buying has been in the hard since fall 2010. The owner tells me that the head has never been used. I need to clarify with him what he did do with it re: maintenance but presuming that it has indeed sat unused for multiple years, what are your suggested first steps to bring it back to life?

I am going to leave it on the hard until Spring 2013 and spend the next several months cleaning and refurbishing.
Thanks for your input.
Cheers

JimsCAL 07-14-2012 08:24 AM

Re: Unused Head

Personally I would first try it see how it works. Worst case is you need to buy a rebuild kit and put it in.

tankersteve 07-14-2012 11:56 AM

On that size of boat, I am assuming there are at least 2 other heads. Perhaps this one really isn't necessary? Before you rebuild it, consider the other uses you may have for the space - dedicated shower, wet locker, dry goods storage, etc.

Not saying you shouldn't look at getting it working but maybe it really isn't necessary...

Tankersteve

tankersteve 07-14-2012 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tankersteve (Post 896251)
On that size of boat, I am assuming there are at least 2 other heads. Perhaps this one really isn't necessary? Before you rebuild it, consider the other uses you may have for the space - dedicated shower, wet locker, dry goods storage, etc.

Not saying you shouldn't look at getting it working but maybe it really isn't necessary...

Tankersteve

OK, actually looked up your boat and recognized how stupid the above sounds. I wasn't familiar with your boat and ASSUMED it was 66 feet long...

Sorry for the distraction.

Tankersteve

SlowButSteady 07-14-2012 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimsCAL (Post 896208)
Personally I would first try it see how it works. Worst case is you need to buy a rebuild kit and put it in.

Ditto.

The parts that wear-out/break-down are usually the rubber bits. If the head really hasn't been used at all the main things that do the rubber bits are ozone and/or hydrocarbon fumes. Since these bits are buried deep in the head's mechanism, they probably haven't had too much exposure to such. See if it pumps water (both into and out of the bowl). If it does, you're golden. If it doesn't, buy a rebuild kit and consider yourself lucky that you don't have to rebuild a head that HAS been used.

Brent Swain 07-14-2012 07:02 PM

Switch it for a composting head.

Minnewaska 07-15-2012 10:28 AM

What kind of head is it? A boat that size might often have a porta-potti. Is there a holding tank? Replacing the rubber parts is probably a good idea, but I'm curious if there is more to the system that might need attention.

i_amcdn 07-15-2012 09:01 PM

Yes it is a porti potty.... I still need to actually see / figure out its source for water as well as model #. Worked on the boat 2 full days this weekend trying to clean it up. There is no thru hull so I am presuming it draws water from the main tank. Not a very good arrangement IMHO to have the fresh water intake for the main tank located right beside the waste pump out.

Even after 14 hours on it this weekend I did not have time to photograph everything I wanted to illustrate. Broken hinge on lazerrette, gas spilled in same, dirt everywhere and to top it off late today I had to wait down below as T-storm hit around 3PM. My ladder had been "borrowed" by a surveyor so I had no way off short of jumping. What the time below did show me was where the water was leaking in. All 4 windows leak, one cleat leaks as does one stanchion. My priority list is being written for me by mother nature.

Minnewaska 07-16-2012 06:40 AM

Porta-potties typically have no raw water intake nor overboard discharge. They are filled with chemicals and have a detachable tank that is taken ashore to empty. Sometimes, you have to take the entire unit ashore to empty it. They work, but you generally don't want to leave waste in them for more than a couple of days.

i_amcdn 07-16-2012 10:41 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Here are some pics of the Sanitation Equipment Ltd Potpourii Model 707 which is still brand new and unused.

Unfortunately there are no instruction manual and before I try it I would like to read a manual.

I am not sure when it was installed but I do know that the boat has sat unused on land since Sept 2010. Is there anything I should know before trying it out?

It looks like it gets water from the main water tank but I cannot get under the fibreglass to confirm that as fact.

Thank you for your help.