Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2012

i_amcdn is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to i_amcdn Send a message via MSN to i_amcdn Send a message via Yahoo to i_amcdn
Unused Head

The Edel 665 that I am buying has been in the hard since fall 2010. The owner tells me that the head has never been used. I need to clarify with him what he did do with it re: maintenance but presuming that it has indeed sat unused for multiple years, what are your suggested first steps to bring it back to life?

I am going to leave it on the hard until Spring 2013 and spend the next several months cleaning and refurbishing.
Thanks for your input.
Cheers
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-14-2012

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
Re: Unused Head

Personally I would first try it see how it works. Worst case is you need to buy a rebuild kit and put it in.
Old 07-14-2012

tankersteve is on a distinguished road

On that size of boat, I am assuming there are at least 2 other heads. Perhaps this one really isn't necessary? Before you rebuild it, consider the other uses you may have for the space - dedicated shower, wet locker, dry goods storage, etc.

Not saying you shouldn't look at getting it working but maybe it really isn't necessary...

Tankersteve
Old 07-14-2012

tankersteve is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankersteve View Post
On that size of boat, I am assuming there are at least 2 other heads. Perhaps this one really isn't necessary? Before you rebuild it, consider the other uses you may have for the space - dedicated shower, wet locker, dry goods storage, etc.

Not saying you shouldn't look at getting it working but maybe it really isn't necessary...

Tankersteve
OK, actually looked up your boat and recognized how stupid the above sounds. I wasn't familiar with your boat and ASSUMED it was 66 feet long...

Sorry for the distraction.

Tankersteve
Old 07-14-2012
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsCAL View Post
Personally I would first try it see how it works. Worst case is you need to buy a rebuild kit and put it in.
Ditto.

The parts that wear-out/break-down are usually the rubber bits. If the head really hasn't been used at all the main things that do the rubber bits are ozone and/or hydrocarbon fumes. Since these bits are buried deep in the head's mechanism, they probably haven't had too much exposure to such. See if it pumps water (both into and out of the bowl). If it does, you're golden. If it doesn't, buy a rebuild kit and consider yourself lucky that you don't have to rebuild a head that HAS been used.
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt
Old 07-14-2012

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

Switch it for a composting head.
Old 07-15-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

What kind of head is it? A boat that size might often have a porta-potti. Is there a holding tank? Replacing the rubber parts is probably a good idea, but I'm curious if there is more to the system that might need attention.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 07-15-2012

Send a message via ICQ to i_amcdn Send a message via MSN to i_amcdn Send a message via Yahoo to i_amcdn

Yes it is a porti potty.... I still need to actually see / figure out its source for water as well as model #. Worked on the boat 2 full days this weekend trying to clean it up. There is no thru hull so I am presuming it draws water from the main tank. Not a very good arrangement IMHO to have the fresh water intake for the main tank located right beside the waste pump out.

Even after 14 hours on it this weekend I did not have time to photograph everything I wanted to illustrate. Broken hinge on lazerrette, gas spilled in same, dirt everywhere and to top it off late today I had to wait down below as T-storm hit around 3PM. My ladder had been "borrowed" by a surveyor so I had no way off short of jumping. What the time below did show me was where the water was leaking in. All 4 windows leak, one cleat leaks as does one stanchion. My priority list is being written for me by mother nature.
Old 07-16-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Porta-potties typically have no raw water intake nor overboard discharge. They are filled with chemicals and have a detachable tank that is taken ashore to empty. Sometimes, you have to take the entire unit ashore to empty it. They work, but you generally don't want to leave waste in them for more than a couple of days.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 07-16-2012

Here are some pics of the Sanitation Equipment Ltd Potpourii Model 707 which is still brand new and unused.

Unfortunately there are no instruction manual and before I try it I would like to read a manual.

I am not sure when it was installed but I do know that the boat has sat unused on land since Sept 2010. Is there anything I should know before trying it out?

It looks like it gets water from the main water tank but I cannot get under the fibreglass to confirm that as fact.

Thank you for your help.
Attached Thumbnails
Unused Head-water-waste-out.jpg   Unused Head-potpourri-707-medium-.jpg   Unused Head-potpourri-707-medium-.jpg   Unused Head-potpourri-707-b-medium-.jpg